Chapter Twelve: Farewell

After we bought his horse and rented out a stable for it, Colin and I went to the stable master to ask for lessons. The man approved. I then proceeded to the castle to ask Fenwa to train Colin. The soldier was surprised of my faith in him.

"Are...are you sure, Captain?" Fenwa asks, as we look over at Colin, who is talking to Bukuri again.

"Yeah. You'll do great. I trust you." I smile as Colin helps the girl stand. "I do suggest going easy at first. He's so kind-hearted. Make sure you don't goblin hunt until you are sure he won't protect them."

Fenwa looks struck. "Protect...goblins? Why would he..."

"It's not in his nature to harm any living thing. Just use sparring partners and practice dummies. I'll hopefully only be gone for a few weeks."

"Who is he staying with?" Fenwa asks.

"Hopefully his dad." I grimace.

"Oh...you're not...."

"Do I look that old, soldier?" I ask, partially teasing, partially shocked.

"No, sir." Fenwa quickly says.

"Good. I should hope not." I reply, looking at Colin again. He is waving farewell to Bukuri and coming back our way. "If his father doesn't step up..." I continue. "..make sure Zelda knows. He can have my rooms, and I'm sure between you and Zelda, he'll be taken care of."

Loud wolf howls are suddenly heard over the sounds of the city. It as if everything freezes. Everyone looks up and listens. Colin looks over at me, eyes wide. With a glance at Fenwa, I turn into a wolf and run off. No one moves as I run by, so I have to weave between their feet. The howls echo in my head.

^Get away, beast! This is our territory!^ I recognize the alpha wolf howl.

^Help!^ Another, unfamiliar, voice cries. I speed up, breaking free of the city limits. Hyrule field spreads out before me. I can vaguely see a wolf pack being surrounded by Twilians. With another burst of speed, I break through their ranks to stand before the wolf pack. I growl at the Twilians menacingly. They back up slightly.

Turning into a human, I step forward. "What are you Twilians doing to threaten this wolf pack?" I ask. "Zant is no longer in control, therefore you currently have peaceful rulers. Midna is your princess, correct?" I ask.

The Twilians look at each other, then laugh. "He knows not when we come from." One of them says.

"When?" I ask, confused. "What do you mean?"

One of the wolves behind me jumps forward. She growls at the trespassers.

"Ah. A fellow traveler." One of the Twilians says. "You have the distinct scent of the Enemy on you. The Oncoming Storm."

The wolf continues to growl. I look down at her, confused. She has red and black fur, an uncommon combination for wolves to have. I notice her eyes are red, as well. Terrifyingly like Midna's. So why...?

The wolf suddenly turns into a teenage girl with dazzling red hair. She reaches into her tangles and withdraws a sword. My sword. What the...

"Stay back." She commands. "I've got this." She grins back at me before attacking the Twilians. I freeze in shock. She looked like... I suddenly break out in a smile and draw my own sword. When I glance in her direction, I realize she has the same moves as me. Typical.

The wolf pack joins in the squabble. I turn to the girl as the canines finish off the enemy. She is panting, but unhurt. I smile at her as she walks towards me.

"Hey." I say, unsure of where to start this awkward conversation.

"Hey." She replies shakily. Apparently she doesn't, either.