Chapter Ten: Zelda

"Link!" Someone yells. "Wake up already!"

That is always how my adventure starts. For such simple words, they bear an ominous meaning. Following those words, I am always forced to bear the weight of the world.

I shudder and turn in my sleep.

"Link!" Someone repeats, exasperated. I am shoved out of bed. Yep. Definitely déjà vu. And the familiar ominous feeling. Great.

"I'm up, Colin." I complain, rubbing my eyes.

"Finally!" He exclaims. "I knew you slept in, but man! Did Midna have this much..." He gasps and clamps his hand over his mouth. I get up as if nothing happened.

"So," Colin says hesitantly as I walk over to my shirt, sword, shield, and pack. "Are we gonna see Zelda today?"

"Yeah." I answer, pulling my shirt over my head. I buckle my pack around my waist, as usual, and slip my sword and its strap over my head so that it rests over one shoulder. I then cover it with my shield and run a hand through my messy blond hair. "You get to meet a princess, Colin."

"Do I have to bow?" He asks, messing with the edge of his tunic. I smile at him gently and crouch in front of him. I take his nervous hands between both of mine.

"Zelda is probably the most easy-going princess that you will ever meet." I answer. "You have no need to be nervous. You should probably bow at the waist when you enter. I'll do something else, since I'm a captain. As soon as the guards leave, you can address her normally. She'll probably address you as Mr. Colin, because she was brought up like that. You won't be thought of any differently if you simply call her Zelda."

Colin brightens considerably. "Really?"

"Really." I answer, clambering to my feet. "Now, are you ready to go?"

"Yeah!" He runs to the door and stands there, waiting. I chuckle and follow him out.

As we walk through the castle, I get a lot of waves and bows. Everyone knows who I am: the man that saved Zelda, killed Gannondorf, and the most likely candidate for General. I grimace as one of my more clumsy knights approaches.

"Captain!" He exclaims, saluting. "You have returned!" He straightens, trying to make himself bigger. His armor grates over his heavy stomach. "I stood my ground against a wolf!"

I'm about to reply with fake congratulations when Colin chuckles. He covers his mouth, but the childish giggles are still heard.

"You..." The soldier says. "...you are the boy from the tavern..." He glances nervously from Colin to me. "Did you...?"

"Um..." Colin suddenly pales, and glances at me. I grimace again.

"Captain Link." A graceful voice says. I smile and turn to face the princess.

"Princess Zelda." I reply, I taking my sword out of its sheath and holding it out to her, as is customary between a princess and her captain.

"We need to figure out a new introduction for you, Captain." Zelda says, smiling. "We both know I cannot even touch that sword. It is rather annoying to only complete the greeting halfway, is it not?"

"Whatever you say, Princess." I reply, tilting my head pointedly at the watchers. She smiles wider.

"Let us retire to the throne room." She says, motioning for me to follow. A few guards glare at me enviously. They want promotion desperately. All I can do is give them a sad smile, and they realize who they are glaring at.

When we reach the throne room, Zelda sits on her throne. Colin glances up at me, and I nod. He steps forward slightly and bows. "Princess Zelda." He says. I grin, proud that he had spoken to a complete (and powerful) stranger. Zelda smiles first at me, knowing I am his teacher, then at Colin. She dismisses the guards with a wave of her hand.