Chapter Eleven: Dust To Dust

Addison's POV:

When the demon brought me here, I thought we were in some sort of cell. It sure smelled like it. I could almost feel the mold through my shoes and the ground squished underneath me wherever I put my foot. It had been dark, and it still is, but now my eyes have adjusted and I can see the dull glow of a town in the distance.

The first thing I actually register is the cold wind that's cutting through the air. I'm still wearing my dress and the jacket that is slung lazily around my shoulders is doing nothing to block out the wind. I shiver, instinctively wrapping my arms around myself so I don't freeze to death.

The next thing I register is the sick feeling in my stomach. It's weird. It doesn't feel like I'm going to throw up, just that something has gone terribly wrong. Maybe it's a side effect for getting your heart ripped out by a Winchester. I mean, that is what Dean did. He lured me in, making me fall head first into something I wasn't ready for and then ripped the rug right out from under me. He kissed me, three times to be exact. Well, the first one didn't really count because I thought we were just faking it. But the second time, that was all him. He caught me off guard and had me spiraling out of control before anything even began. And I was going to sleep with him. I've never been more humiliated or hurt in my life. Not even when I caught Adam cheating on me. My feelings for Dean are a million times as stronger than anything I felt with Adam. And I was actually dating Adam.

Coming back to the present and the problem at hand, I look around me and frantically try to figure out where I am. It turns out we're standing on a hilltop, the grass damp with moisture. A circle of candles surrounds us, their yellow flames illuminating the faces of ten or so demons. The demon that brought me here backs up to join them, leaving me alone in the circle. I'm debating whether or not I should try and make a run for it when a familiar laugh bounces toward me through the air.

"How nice of you to join us," barks Jason, finally coming into view. He's dressed in black—just like the rest of the demons—and it makes his blonde hair look white. Jason smiles, his teeth flashing in the low light. "Are you ready for the second trial?"

"You can't make me do it," I say, standing tall. "I'm stronger now." I mean it to sound threatening, but it comes out more like a question than a statement. I mentally kick myself, knowing that he will take that as a sign of weakness.

"I'm counting on it," he replies, walking around the edge of the circle. He mutters something under his breath and the candles flair up, their yellow flames flashing blue before they shrink back to size. The demons back up, giving the circle room. An opening appears and I don't think twice before rushing at it.

But I don't get far. When I hit the circle's wall, an invisible force pushes me back, sending me flying back onto the damp grass. I sit up, confused. What just happened?

"You really think we'd bring you out here without a way to guaranty you can't escape? Dean was right, you really are a child," hisses Jason. I freeze, my blood running cold.

"You've been watching us," I say, imagining their eyes on me while I was kissing Dean. I hate the idea of them seeing that. Even though it crashed and burned, it wasn't something I want the enemy to know about.

"Of course," he says, prowling around the circle like a cat about to pounce. But the way he's stepping away from the candles makes me think the force field doesn't just keep me in—it keeps them out. "Nice move with the vampires by the way. I'm sure you have your reasons. Do the Winchesters know?"

"No," I whisper as he hangs something else over my head. He chuckles, pausing to take something from a nearby demon.

"Well, I'm sure that will play out just fine," he mutters, smiling at the joke I don't think is funny. He tosses the item at me and it lands beside my hand. It's then that I notice what it actually is. I pick up the scrap of paper, unfolding it so I can see what is on it.