Chapter Eighteen: Light in the Dark

Addison's POV:

"What are you gonna order?"

Dean looks up from his menu at the sound of my voice, a grin on his lips. We're sitting in some diner just off the highway. We just finished hunting a wendigo in North Carolina and are on our way back to the bunker. Dean started nodding off in the driver seat and instead of letting one of us drive, he decided we should just spend the night somewhere. Sam is back at the motel now, something about not being hungry. Of course, Dean was hungry, so here we are for a very late dinner. I didn't think anything would be open at this time of night, but I guess this diner is open at all times of the day.

"Double-bacon-cheeseburger," he replies, putting the menu down. I nod, looking back at the menu myself. Being a vegetarian is getting more and more difficult.

"Okay," I say, looking up as the waitress walks over. She looks at Dean first, her smile making me jealous. Dean repeats his order and when the waitress looks over at me, I can tell she's disappointed to no longer be looking at the hot guy at the table. After telling her I want a veggie-burger, I watch as she turns back to Dean to strike up a conversation. But Dean keeps his eyes on me, completely oblivious to the waitress. After a few moments of staring at him, she walks off without saying anything. "Oh my god."

"What?" Dean tilts his head to the side, giving him the look of a lost puppy. He seriously didn't notice the waitress.

"Nothing," I mutter, playing with the corner of my paper napkin. Shrugging, Dean leans forward and rests his arms on the table.

"You know, technically this is our first date," he says, a smile on his lips. His smile is contagious and it quickly spreads to my face. I glance over his shoulder and see the waitress watching us, so I lean forward and plant a soft kiss on his lips. I'm not really the jealous type, but I still feel self-conscious around Dean and I don't want anyone openly flirting with him in front of me.

"So don't mess it up," I joke, pulling back from him. Chuckling, he glances over his shoulder to see if our food is coming. Luckily it is and the waitress gently places his food in front of him before dropping mine in front of me. She shoots me a glare before sauntering off to help someone else. "That means I don't want to hear one word about the supernatural. Got it?"

"Got it, tiger," he replies after a moment of hesitation. I can practically see the gears turning in his head as he tries to come up with a conversation that doesn't have to do with the supernatural. "So how's Lucas?" I smile as he starts in on his burger.

"Good," I say, taking a bite of mine. "I talked to him yesterday. He was busy with this friend of his so we didn't talk much." Dean nods, setting down his burger so he can pick up a few fries.

"I'm glad you're able to stay in contact with him. It's good for you," he says, a smile on his lips. But I frown, confused by his statement.

"It's good for me? What does that mean?" Wiping my mouth with back of my hand, I put my veggie burger down and give him a look. I've been meaning to tell him about that kiss with Sam last week, but there hasn't really been a good time to tell him. It didn't mean anything-well, not for me anyway-but I still don't know how to tell Dean his brother kissed his girlfriend.

"Just that..." Dean freezes, obviously wondering what's up with me. "I think it's good that you have someone you can talk to outside of all this. I kinda thought Emma could be that for you, but I know you didn't want to drag her into anything." I nod, picking up a fry. Something catches my eye over his head and I glance up. Two men just walked into the diner and each of them makes eye contact with me before turning to the hostess. But I'm not getting a vibe off them so I ignore it and go back to Dean.