Chapter 33- Surprises

"So I guess that's what we're doing... Giving us a chance," I concluded for Ruby after telling her piece by piece of what had happened that morning at Nick's house yesterday.

For once, in her entire existence on this planet, my red-headed, explosive, loud- mouthed friend, was speechless. Her doe- like eyes just stared at me and continued the silence between us with her shocked expression.

I gave an uneasy laugh. "You don't have to look so surprised..." I said to try and ease the tension.

She let out a breath and sat up straight. "Sorry... Believe me, I wasn't expecting that," she finally said. "but... you're dating Nick Jonas."

I rolled my eyes. "I've been dating Nick Jonas."

She gave me a look. "Yeah... But now you're really dating him."

I gave a soft smile and looked down into my lap. "Yeah, I guess I am."

Ruby leaned closer to me on the couch. "Like dating, dating, him."

I shoved her back and laughed. "Stop making it weird."

She fell back on the couch, looking up at the ceiling dreamily. "You're going to have little Jonas babies," she sighed. "and be Rayne Jonas."

I threw a pillow at her. "Stop! You're making me uncomfortable," I laughed.

Her giggles echoed with mine as we both became a hysteric mess of laughter on the sofa- both of us too giddy to do anything else.

Then, Ruby looked at her watch. "Crap." She sat up straight. "I have work soon, I totally forgot." She leaped up from the couch and sprinted down the hallway.

"How long are you working?" I called back to her.

There was a thump from her room and I saw a flash of her pulling jeans over her legs through the door frame. "I've got the night shift at the store. You're on your own tonight, babe."

I stuck out my bottom lip as if she could see me pouting. "I wanted to have a Vampire Diaries marathon tonight, though."

"I'm sorry. Not all of us are lucky enough to have a relationship that you get paid for."

I let out a laugh. "That's true."

There was a knock on the door a moment later, causing me to groan and get up from my comfortable position amongst the pillows. Making sure Ruby was decent, I walked to the door and threw it open.

"Hi," Nick breathed, giving me a tender smile.

My heart fluttered deliciously. "Hi to yourself," I replied.

He lifted his hands, holding full grocery bags on each arm. "May I come in?" was all he said.

I opened the door wider, watching him walk straight to the kitchen. He was wearing tight dark jeans that hugged his lower half like a second skin and a gray sweat shirt. He looked completely relaxed and an envious lazy that was uncommon for him.

"So..." I sang, staring as he took out items from the bags. "what exactly is happening?"

"I'm making you dinner."

I raised my eyebrows. "Are you now?" I chuckled.

He had his back to me as he placed the bags on the counter and began to unpack the items. I caught a glimpse of cherry tomatoes before he moved them to the side and opened another bag that held glimmering long bottle.

"I will take this," I told him and reached around him to grab the wine glass.

He chuckled lowly and I felt it through his back as I pressed up against him to reach into the pantry for the wine glasses. I wanted so badly to run my hands down his spine and ask him to laugh again so I could feel it completely.