Chapter 6

Chapter Six

We got in his car and I watched from the corner of my eye as he lightly drummed against the steering wheel with his long fingers, a beat only his ears could hear. I averted my eyes.

We got out of his mustang and walked awkwardly next to each other, down the sidewalk. There wasn't many crowds on this side of town except a few couples with jittery children passing us by.

Mine and Nick's phone beeped at the same time.

Scarlett: Show some love for the press this morning. And make sure to hold hands while you walk there, they love that kind of thing, it will take away speculation of whether or not Rayne is just a friend.

I innerly groaned.

After I slid my phone back into my purse, Nick grabbed my hand, my finges practically getting lost in between his long, musician joints.

"Don't look now," Nick said. "but to your right there's some paparazzi snapping pictures already from his car. Apparently they've already gotten the hint." With his left hand, he put his black sunglasses into place up the bridge of his nose.

I slid my free hand into my cardigan pocket and turned slightly to meet the flash of a camera.

Nick let out a deep chuckle, the noise revebrating through his throat. "I told you not to look."

I rolled my eyes at him. "That practically means look in my language."

He sighed. "That means I've got a lot to learn then."

I laughed and nudged him with my hip.

We walked up to the bistro on the corner. Taking a seat in the booth by the window so more pictures could be snapped. I slid my sunglasses off and set them on the table in front of me.

Nick cleared his throat, his Adam's Apple moving slightly. "I'm going to go order for us," he said, his thumb pointing to the counter casually as more papparazzi tried to suspiciously snap pictures from outside the thin window. "what do you want?"

I rubbed the back of my neck with my hand, my eyebrows drawing together as I thought. "Get me an espresso and salad."

He slightly nodded and was about to raise himself from the table when I stuck my palm up.

"Wait, no!" I said. "I want a soup."

His eyes landed on me. "Okay, soup it is. What kind?"

I scanned the far menu with my eyes. "Uhm..."

Nick sat back down in his seat, his eyes impatiently on me.

"The potato," I finally said with a nod.

Nick gave a single confirming nod and stood up.

"Nick!" I said after him.

With a swivel of his head he turned to look at me, his arms crossed and an expecting smug look on his face. "What have you changed your mind to now?" he said, and if I heard right there was a slight hint of amusement,

"I want tomato basil instead." I put my hands in my lap.

He sighed. "And are you sure?"

I nodded and gave him a tight smile while he went to the counter, flashes of cameras coming through the window.

My heart was pounding in my chest as I waited for him to come back. The people staring and oogling outside were making me extremely nervous. I felt like I was being examined under a microscope. Normal girl thoughts raced through my head, "was my hair starting to frizz?", "was my make- up smudging?" and oh gosh "did this skirt make me look fat next to the very fit Nick Jonas?".