Chapter Nine

| Your POV |

You really can't believe that you're here at Lucky Cat Cafe with Fred. Only Fred. Just yesterday you wished that he never existed, and now you're sitting across from him, chatting like you've been friends for years.

"Hey, kids," Aunt Cass greets you. "Just you two today?"

"Yup," Fred answers.

"Alright. What can I get you two? The usual?"

You nod.

"And it's on one check," Fred adds.

"Sounds great. It'll be out in a minute." She walks off.

"I can pay for my own," You say.

Fred shakes his head. "No way. It's my gift to you because I completely trashed your stuff. Freddie can pay for your cappuccino."

You purse your lips and wonder why he talks like that. It's probably better not to ask.

Aunt Cass returns with your things. It's silent as Fred takes a bite of his cake. "So, is that your favorite comic?" You ask, nodding towards the comic book that is in front of Fred. You take a sip of your cappuccino.

He shakes his head. "No. My favorite is- man. Is- well. I don't know. I really can't choose." He smiles. "What's your favorite comic?"

You shrug. "I don't know. I've never read one."

Fred's jaw drops. "You've never read one?"

"No," You say.

"What? ___, this is crazy!"

"I just never had one. And I never had a desire to read one."

"___!" He says loudly. It makes you jump. "This is uncalled for! You have to read one!"

"I mean, I don't have to," You mumble.

"If we're going to be friends, you do," He says. "This calls for an emergency stop."

-

"Fred, what are we doing here?" You ask. Your eyes scan the huge yard and house you're walking towards.

"Emergency stop," He says simply. As soon as he steps onto the porch, the doors open.

"Good evening, Master Frederick," A man says.

Your jaw drops.

"Hey, Heathecliffe," Fred greets. "This is ___." Heathecliffe nods in your direction. You smile. "Come on, ___. Are you just going to stand there all day?"

"N-No," You say quietly. You follow Fred into the house. "I just can't believe that this is your house."

"Well, technically it belongs to my parents. They get back on Monday. They're at the family island."

"Family island?" You gasp.

"Yeah. Maybe you can visit with me someday."

"Maybe," You say quietly.

"This is my room," Fred says. He claps and the doors slide open.

You blink, trying to adjust to the bright colors. Kaiju monsters, action figures, and posters are everywhere. You smile nervously. "Wow, Fred. This is . . . nice."

"Thanks," He says. "But this isn't even the best part." He waves you forward and leads you to a tall shelf. "Alright. I need to get you started on comics." He reaches up and grabs a stack of four. "Here. It's four parts. The Incredible Hulk. If you like those, I'll lend you more."

"Wow, well, uh- thanks, Fred."

"Anything for a friend." He shrugs.

You walk over to a glass display of action figures. "You collect a lot, huh?"

"Yeah," He says. "Hey! You're a chemist. Do you think you can develop something for me?"

"Like what?" You ask, walking around the room again.

"I don't know. A formula that can turn me into a fire breathing lizard at will? Honey Lemon said no, so."

You laugh. "Fred, that's not exactly science."

"Sure it is!" He says.

"It's really not," You say. "But maybe."

"Yes!" He says. "That's the greatest news I've heard all day."

Your phone buzzes. You check it and see a text from Honey. "Man. I'm late for our study session. I've gotta go, Fred. Thanks for the cappuccino and the comics. And the equipment."

"Not a problem," He says.

"Um, I'll see you." You smile.

"Yeah. I'll see you." He watches you walk out of his room and down the hallway.