Chapter 3- What Doesn't Kill You

You think you got the best of me
Think you've had the last laugh
Bet you think that everything good is gone
Think you left me broken down
Think that I'd come running back
Baby you don't know me, cause you're dead wrong

Kelly Clarkson- What Doesn't Kill You (Stronger)

***

I pushed the textbook away from my face and sighed contently as I dreamed about ponies and rainbows. No, I actually wasn't. But it was better off pretending I had regular girly dreams then horrid night terrors.

The textbook I had my cheek pressed on fell to the floor. The small collision alone woke me from my horrid nightmares making me revert into survival mode. I lifted my head and whipped my hand in front of me in a clawing motion until I realized that the room was occupied by no one but me.

My breathing turned irregular as my mind drifted to my dreams. They were flashbacks. Memories "I should have suppressed in my mind" according to the shrink I had to see at the orphanage when I was 15.

"They should have suppressed themselves in your mind, making them inaccessible due to the trauma and shock you felt that night."

He placed his hand over mine and I pulled away, partly in disgust. He didn't seem fazed by the sudden movement but got the hint.

"This only means that you're as strong as we need you to be."

What was that supposed to mean?

I was recommended to stop seeing a psychiatrist two days later.

A knock on the door pushed my thoughts away until my head was cleared and I was open-minded. I contemplated whether or not to let whoever it was in. It could be him, but it could also just be Luna or the twins. I pushed the chair behind me, stretched and stalked quietly to the door, my fist already curled.

My fist uncurled as I stepped back to let the wave of black hair burst into the room, ducking under my arm. His bony finger curled over the fabric of my sweatpants as he buried his face into the fabric. I rubbed a comforting hand over his messy hair and watched as his freckled face finally looked me in the eye. He gave me a small smile, revealing a few unnoticeable lines on his right cheek.

Leo.

I kneeled down and cupped his face in my hands as I looked over the fresh bruises that were obviously just given to him. This wasn't how a nine year old should spend his childhood. Giving him a small smirk after examining him to make him relax, I decided to keep the conversation light to keep his mind off everything. "Where does it hurt, Leo?"

His face shot out of my grip and he let out a few noises of protest when I didn't let his arms go. I let him drag his arm out and then watched as he folded both of them in a defensive stance. "How did you know?" He cried.

I let out a chuckle as he pouted and sobered when I noticed the door open. Panic fried my nerves causing me to shoot up to shut the door when another mess of black hair slipped through to stand next to his twin. I closed the door, not bothering to check if Luna had secretly been wanting to come in. Though she liked to spend time with me, she also had an addiction to Candy Crush on my sorry excuse of a phone. Feeling myself calm, I leaned against the door and watched the twins argue about who got to pull the April Fool's Day school prank.

Say hello to Jeremy and Leo, the Trouble Tunes.

They were the youngest in the house and made my sister's clumsiness seem normal. Both were twins with the same personality and same attitudes. Though they fought a lot, they pretended like the six minute age gap between them didn't exist. They caused trouble wherever they went, resulting in a lot more trouble for me since I was the oldest and technically responsible for them.  But their singing voices made up for it. They were nothing like him although they were his children. They were just like their mother.