Chapter 19- All The Demons Cry

When my parents died I was terrified.

The shrieking and chatter of the busy agents filled the plane as they prepared for the worst of the worst. My mind grasped onto anything I could to distract me from the whispering and wariness of what everyone though would happen.

They thought Tyrone would succeed.

And maybe they were right. Maybe, just maybe, Tyrone would succeed in ripping away hundreds of children's souls away from their parents, their siblings or whoever they had to fight for them. Maybe we wouldn't get there fast enough.

Just. Like. My. Parents.

And maybe I was being selfish for pulling every string I had just to get to the school. Not for the kids. But for my sister. Because if I lost her, then my connection to my family was gone.

"Agent Ryder."

I gave a nod at the question- although it ended up more of statement. The voice kneeled down and snapped their fingers in my face, succeeding in getting my undivided attention. I grabbed the fingers and twisted, standing up quickly and moved so that the poor victim's arm was behind her back.

Despite the events that were occuring at the moment, I took a few seconds to stare. Her back was to me, but her ripped jeans and oddly dyed red hair brought up a faint memory that seemed to get stronger as I examined her. Her hair was fully parted onto the right side and a few scars scattered her neck, hiding along the acne puberty gifted you with. I leaned forward and sniffed, immediately wrinkling my nose at the smell. The smell of jasmine flowed inside my nostrils, a name being brought up from the overwhelming scent.

"Rebecca Stone," I said, an accusing tone planted firmly in my voice. "Angela - I'm so sorry, Angie - Stone's sister."

She pulled herself out of my grasp with a forceful tug, ignoring the bent position her arm was in. "I don't go by that name." She held out her uninjured hand out with a serious, professional expression. "Ross, Rebecca Ross. Teen Division."

I looked her up and down, seeing her short height. "You're about twelve."

"The Teen Division is extended to preteens too," She pointed out with a dragging sigh.

I closed my eyes in frustration as she relayed a message from Aiden and Zack telling me to stay calm, focused and not letting my emotions affect my decisions. "-But with your capacity to care less about what's going to happen to your sister, I wouldn't be surprised at all."

I opened my eyes, offended by her words and gave her a glare. "Right, I couldn't care less if my only family was killed by 553's main enemy."

I turned without another word, blending in with the other agent's hectic movements as they took inventory and count of everything needed on the AerialSwift Jet, heading toward where I hoped Aiden, Zack or Blake were positioned.

I navigated to the pilot quarters but stopped when I spotted Aiden attaching a parachute pack to his shoulders. His messy hair was accompanied with a pair of goggles that I snapped off once I got close enough and reattached on his face.

"I know you like to be our personal daredevil Thompson, but I need you alive for this," I muttered, drinking in his concerned expression to distract me from the swarming thoughts crowding inside my head.

He gave me a small smile to try to brighten my mood. "I've taken seven shots to the stomach and still survived," he boasted.

I couldn't help but scoff and give a small smile at his crestfallen expression following it. "So maybe it was two... but I survived!" he added when I gave him a comforting pat on the shoulder. He looked over my shoulder, his lips thinning into a straight line and then he murmured something under his breath that made my smile fall almost immediately.