Chapter 4- Just Tryna' Make It On My Own

***

Money never a maybe but never forgot my roots
I heard that the top is lonely I wonder if it's the truth
So I'm just climbing, paid off rhyming, now I'm shining could be blinding
Ain't too much real left but right here is where you could find it
This that new... classic, ain't this what you needed?
I'm what amazing look like, you'll recognize it when you see it

Iggy Azalea- Walk The Line

***

SIX DAYS AGO:

If you told me that I'd be to defend myself, becoming a strong person with skills that shouldn't have been developed in under a year, I would have pondered it and shook my head. Maybe it was because I considered myself a strong person a year ago. Who could you call strong if they couldn't hide their emotions or keep in any pain emotionally blinding you?

I never had a social life. The most social I got was with the Trouble Tunes and Luna. But I came to Tyrone's for public lessons every day at midnight to meet with twenty-seven other people who wanted to learn for different reasons. I wasn't the youngest out of them however, which had been unexpected. That was Tyrone's youngest daughter, Carissa. She had two daughters, Carissa, who went to Luna's elementary school, and Alina, who was my age.

Alina and I got along exceptionally well for someone who didn't have friends for the last two years. Alina had plenty, and she claimed along with Tyrone that she went to a private school somewhere here I hadn't heard of. But I noticed the the small flicker of dishonesty that was evident in the conversation we had about her personal life. It could have been a mistake, but after three years of no parents, I learned to trust my instincts and not hesitate when I see or hear something. Because human being were basically walking lies.

I didn't mention my past life at all. In fact I strayed from it. I started to see Alina as a potential threat when she started to dig, so I kept my distance. If there's one thing I learned from everything, it was that people weren't what they seemed. And Alina was tribute to that.

And that was sad, that I couldn't make 'friends'. But friends stab each other in the back. The only bond you can truly seal is when you tell someone a secret that could be a threat to them if it got out. 

I stopped punching the bag ferociously when my knuckles started to bleed, holding the bag until it stopped swaying. I had exceptionally strong hands for this kind of thing, which saved my skin a bunch of times in sparring and I didn't have a need to wrap my hands even though they all insisted I should. Being the sneaky person I was, I took them off and being the observant person she was, Tyrone noticed but didn't mention it after watching.

Tyrone. 

Her name made me swallow terribly hard, the taste of blood resting at the bottom of my throat. The headlines burst into my head, imprinting themselves into my eyelids where I'd see them every time I closed my eyes.

Owner of Tyrone's Ring Brutally Stabbed in Shootout.

Tyrone Finn Loses Her Life Trying to Defend Child From Killers.

Woman Murdered in Shootout, Identities of Shooters Unknown

This morning I walked inside the building just in time to bump into Alina. After seeing her puffy eyes and tear stained cheeks, she told me the news. I knew how it felt to lose a parent to an unexpected event, so I stayed close to her until she cried herself to sleep. I needed to blow some steam, and Mark wouldn't be back until Wednesday as he went on a business trip for the travelling company he worked for, so I came to my sanctuary. The ring.