CHAPTER TWENTY

— I love you, dad.

Rockstar - Abhi The Nomad, Kota The Friend ♩ ♪ ♫

PARRISH:

"I don't have a bed," I tell her.

I keep my eyes on the road as my facial expression modifies. I completely forgot to tell her about that. How did I forget to tell her that?

She looks at me and smiles. She doesn't seem to mind, but the couch I sleep on isn't exactly big enough for two people.

"Are you okay with sharing a couch?" I ask her.

She probably thinks I'm tense as hell. And I am tense as hell.

"I am definitely okay with that," she answers, placing her hand on my thigh.

Oliver better be in his damn room when we get there. If he is outside of his room, I can only hope he doesn't say anything to her.

I shift to fifth gear once I get up to speed. There is absolutely no traffic — not on this deserted part of the road, anyway. We're nearing the strip now, and I am sure it'll be busy.

One thing I know about Vegas: the place owns the night. It's beautiful, honestly.

Every night is a Vegas night. Everyone is having fun — in Vegas at night. Nowhere else could orchestrate a better time. It is like a show, every night in Vegas, I'm not exaggerating. Nothing is as wild, and nothing is as entertaining.

I don't experience the Vegas night, because I am a boring person. I don't belong in Vegas. Not at all.

But I'm not letting that fact take me away. I couldn't leave. Not now. Not ever.

I am hooked.

I choose that moment to look at the first girl that can break my heart, and she grins at me as her thumb runs across the material covering my thigh.

She couldn't just fracture it. She has my rapidly-beating heart in the palm of her hand now — right this very second.

I don't know how she managed to do this to me. I know lust couldn't be this consuming. I want to know everything about her.

I want her to know everything about me — well, maybe not everything. There might be a few things I should keep contained. So, I won't lose her...or myself even more.

I look at her again as the bright lights of Vegas pour into my truck through the glass. She is smiling so vibrantly at her surroundings. She's lost in the view of the Vegas night. I'm lost in the view of her smile. Maybe I could love Vegas one day...seeing the way she looks at the Vegas night makes me want to give it an actual shot. Maybe someday. I'll probably have to be with Amelia the day I figure it out, in between times, as always with us. Hopefully she'll always want me around, at any time. I'm certain I need her in my life if I'm going to stay here in Vegas anyway.

"We'll be there in a few minutes," I speak, as my eyes travel to the front of the road. I try to keep them glued on the car slowing down in front of me. My eyes travel down to their Penn State license plate, and I fight the instinct to chew on my lower lip.

"Did you ever think about going to college, Livingston?" Amelia asks, and I feel her gaze hit the side of my face. Is she a mind reader? I swear she can read minds, it's as if she knew I was thinking about college right this minute. I keep my eyes on the road, because I'm embarrassed of the answer to that question.

"You didn't go to college, huh?" she sighs, after I stay silent for a few seconds. I don't correct her.

"I didn't want to go either. I think college is a waste of money, and time. I can make something out of myself without a degree," she smiles again.