CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

— READY. SET. GO.

Rihanna – Where Have You Been ♩ ♪ ♫

PARRISH:

"Who are you?"

I become immediately suspicious when the man standing in front of me asks for my name. He escorted me and Oliver to the Underdog's Underground roof, where we came to find Robert and Amelia's friend, Callie.

The guards watching us listened to him and left the room when he said for them to leave. I have no idea what the hell is going on — I just know it's the most confusing situation I've ever encountered.

"I'm Amelia's father," he replies, his tone hard and clipped.

The man is taller than me. He has chocolate brown hair, but his roots are noticeably greyed. He has some wrinkles, more so around his eyes. He could pass for a few days over forty, though his frame is built.

I'm taken aback by his reply, and my eyes are wide as I stare at him.

"Don't listen to him, Parrish," Robert tells me, shaking his head. "I don't know who the hell this guy is, but he's not Amelia's father."

I hear what Robert's saying, but I'm immediately shaking my head — disagreeing with him. He has Amelia's eyes—his eyes are her eyes. I didn't think I'd ever see another human-being with eyes quite like hers. They have similar features. If this man is saying he's Amelia's father, my first thought is that he can't be lying.

He looks like her father.

"So, your name is Parrish," the man sighs.

Robert mutters a curse word as the man continues.

"I've been watching you with my daughter. It's hard to believe how old she's gotten," he goes on, and I can't help the scowl that crosses my face.

"You've been stalking us?" I ask, distaste lingering in my tone.

He nods, like that's completely normal. "I've been watching both Amelia and Chaise for years. I have had no other way to be in their life, but to be unknown to them, to protect them. It's not what I wanted to do, it's what I had to do. I've experienced some recent changes, and I think it's about time I told them the truth — told all three of you the truth," he explains, shooting his soft gaze towards Robert.

"I don't know who the fuck you are, and I couldn't give a shit, buddy," Robert tells him.

Robert is truly uninterested in this guy's determination to be seen. It's hard to imagine this man lying about being someone's father.

The man chuckles to Robert's comment, shaking it off like it didn't offend him at all.

"I understand you might not care, Robbie, but I used to wipe your ass when you were a baby. You grew up in my house for four years of your life," he speaks, simply nodding his head slightly in Robert's direction.

Robert scoffs. "Whatever, man. If you have ever given a shit about me, Amelia, or Chaise—you wouldn't have left us. That is, if you're not making this shit up. We would remember you if you were important."

The man just smiles, like he has Robert by the balls.

As the expression of uncertainty takes over Robert's face — I realize he just might.

"You remember me, Robbie. I know you remember me. I got you and your mother out of hell, because I love you both. Your father is a worthless failure and needs to be behind bars. I can't even express in words what I wouldn't give to call you, my son. I'll tell you that much and maybe you can reconsider how you feel about me. Whether it's now, or sometime in the future," he says sternly—his gaze set intently on Robert.