The Prince, The Hound & The Mutt

The day droned on uneventfully. Every now and again, he'd see something to catch his fascination, but it wasn't like he could go explore them up close, only watch as they came into view, and then faded out behind him as they went passed.

The wagon was bumpy. The seats were nothing but hard wood. It was very cramped, and the sides were open. There was a very thin curtain, but he liked it open anyways. He suspected he'd have died if he had to be shut up in that tiny wagon with no fresh air flowing through.

Occasionally, Ser Barristan would ride close beside the wagon, and they'd chat a bit, but most the time Barristan was riding just a bit behind them. Never enough to go out of sight, or possibly lose the wagon.

"Why is my father having you follow after me?", he asked during one such instance where Barristan skillfully kept his horse close beside the wagon.

"You don't like my company, my Lord?", he asked jokingly.

"It's not that, it's just.. Why?", he asked puzzled.

Barristan took a moment.

"Your father just wants to make sure your first time out of Kings Landing is without fault. He cannot keep and eye on you himself, and Lord Martell is not accompanying  you. Your fathers busy guarding King Robert, he wants to make sure his lads safe as well".

This seemed like an acceptable answer to Lewyn, but why a White Cloak? How a White Cloak?

"Looks like we may be stopping for the night, my Lord", Ser Barristan spoke, and sure enough commands began being yelled, and the wagon came to a rough an bumpy stop.

"They'll be setting a tent up for you and your father", Ser Barristan said as he dismounted, and then helped Lewyn out out of the wagon.

Ser Barristan trailed after him everywhere he went, as he began exploring around the site they'd call camp. The Queen and her children would be staying in the large wheelhouse, Lewyn suspected while others would set up tents, and those who weren't important enough for tents would sleep under the stars, on the ground, or in the backs of their vegetable carts.

Lew would glance back every know and again, and sure enough, there was Ser Barristan, his hand casually on the hilt of his sword, as his armor clanking along with each step.

When he finally came upon his father, he was a bit shocked to see the state he was in. His cloak had many mud splatters, and he looked genuinely worn out, his forehead, cheeks, and nose a bit red from the sun. He forgot his father had ridden this whole day on horseback, and he felt guilty for his complaints when he saw his fathers dirt smeared face, his hair darker with dust.

His father still met him with a smile though, and he chatted with him as a few young men worked on their tent. It was larger than he expected once constructed, and each of their trunks were brought in, along with two cots.

Soon after, supper was brought to them. Rabbit stew, potatoes, oat bread and a hard cheese Lewyn didn't like very much. It was only once him and his father were in their light under tunics and trousers, and lounging that they began discussing each other's day.

It became very obvious that King Robert had driven his father absolutely mad all day. He had probably been drinking. He found himself feeling sorry for his father, and wished he could ride in the wagon with him. His father seemed exhausted, yet he himself felt restless.

It was only when his father was finishing up the last bit of custard, and being poured a glass of wine, did Lewyn ask if he could go walk for a bit around the camp.

"I don't think so, Lewyn. It's dark", he said, taking the wine from the serving girl.

"Not inside the camp. There are so many fires, I'll just be around the camp, I promise", and just then another voice came from behind him.