Jaime III

Jaime made his way to the throne room. Cersei had told him there would be a small council meeting, and for him to catch Lord Stark on his way to the small council chambers.

As Jaime entered the great room, silent and empty, he could hear the clatter of his own armor, and he sat upon the steps in front of the throne, waiting.

Cersei had also ensured him that the Stark boy would be dealt with. There would be a fire. The boy would be killed by an unknown man during that time. While everyone ran to the fire, the boy would be killed in his unconsciousness. He wouldn't feel a single thing. He wouldn't know any better. He was already as good as dead. It was mercy more than anything, Jaime told himself.

He heard footsteps, and glanced up, Lord Stark entered. A weary look on his face as he noticed Jaime sprawled on the steps in front of the Iron Throne.

Thank the God's you're here, Lord Stark", Jaime said, pulling his gloves off, "about time we have some stern Northern leadership", he said as he rose to his feet, making his way to Lord Eddard Stark.

"Glad to see you're protecting the Throne", Ned said, nodding towards the grey steel mass.

Jaime glanced back, "sturdy old thing", he said.

"How many Kings ass's have polished it, I wonder? And, oh what's the saying, "The King shits, and the Hand wipes", he recited, gesturing towards Ned.

"Very handsome armor", Ned commented, looking Jaime over.

"Not a scratch on it", Lord Stark observed.

"I know", Jaime said with a chuckle

He thought of Lewyn suddenly. He thought of how it was very possible this man ordered the very hammer that was swung at his son, almost taking him from this earth. From Jaime. But Lord Stark had failed. Jaime would not. He looked down at his own self, a smile forming on his lips.

"People have been swinging at me for years", he said, "but they always seem to miss", his voice grew dark, quiet, as he finished the sentence. His smile faded and his face became serious.

"You've chosen your opponents wisely, then", Lord Stark said. No amusement show on his face.

"I have a talent for it", Jaime said.

"Must be strange for you, coming into this room", Jaime went on, "I was standing right here when it happened", he pointed to his feet.

"He was very brave, your brother. And your father, too. They didn't deserve to die like that. Nobody deserves to die like that", Jaime said.

He knew Lord Stark knew things he shouldn't. But he also knew things of Lord Stark. Both men had secrets. They were very similar in some ways. They both loved their families. But when it came down to it, Jaime loved his more, and would kill every man, woman, and child, until only his loved ones remained, if he had to. If Lord Stark wanted to play this game, so could he. And he would win. No, Lord Stark was too honorable a man to win this game.

"But you just stood there and watched", Lord Stark said.

"Five hundred men just stood there and watched. All the great Knights of the Seven Kingdoms, you think anyone said a word? Lifted a finger? No, Lord Stark. Five hundred men, and this room was as silent as a crypt", Jaime said, "except for the screams of course", he added.

"And the Mad King laughing. And later, when I watched the Mad King die, I remembered him laughing as your father burned, it felt like justice", Jaime said honestly.

He'd only grown to dislike Lord Stark, when Lord Stark thought it a dishonor that he betrayed the Mad King. Lord Stark knew a lot. He knew more than he should, but if he only knew why Jaime had betrayed the Mad King, maybe he wouldn't mind it so much after all. In fact, the man should be thanking him.

"Is that what you tell yourself at night? You're a servant of justice? That you were avenging my father when you shoved your sword in Aerys Targaryen's back?", Eddard Stark asked. A look of disgust on his face.

Jaime knew that the "shoved your sword in Aerys back", was a jab at him being a traitor. A back stabber. It was true. He had shoved his sword through the Mad King's back, but for all that was at stake....

"Tell me", Jaime asked, "if I stabbed the Mad King in the belly instead of the back, would you admire me more?".

"You served him well, when serving was safe", Lord Stark responded.

"Safe for who?", Jaime asked, and Lord Stark was silent

Jaime took a step forward.

"I did what I had to do. And if it weren't for that, your bastard wouldn't be here. None of you Stark's would", Jaime growled in a low whisper.

"And your bastard?", Lord Stark asked.

Now Jaime was silent.

"We both have our secrets, Ser Jaime. But just because we share a common secret, does not make us friends", Lord Stark said boldly.

"Lord Stark, you've misunderstood me", Jaime said with a smile now.

"I've never wanted to be your friend", his expression turned cold.

"Then why am I in your presence, Ser Jaime? Why have you stopped me from reaching the Small Counsel chambers?", Lord Stark asked.

"Oh", Jaime said, smiling again.

"Right, well. The reason for that, Lord Stark, is I just wanted to personally congratulate you on the new title. Hand of the King is a noble and honorable position. Jon Arryn, well he shall be greatly missed, but I'm sure you're going to be of brilliant assistance to the Capitol and the Realm", Jaime said.

"It's a shame what happened to Jon Arryn. Good man. But, sometimes even good men find themselves in bad positions. Poor Jon Arryn never even saw the illness hit him", Jaime went on, Lord Stark quiet.

Ned looked at the man, his jaw tense.

"I wish you luck, Lord Stark. And do be careful, with all those secrets of yours. The capital is infested with spiders", Jaime said, turning and making his way to the door.

"You think I've forgotten about your boy?", Ned called, and Jaime froze, slowly turning around.

"What about him, Lord Stark?", Jaime said in a whisper, a forced smile upon his lips.

"Would you really like me to say it out loud, Ser Jaime, as you said just now, the Capitol is infested with spiders".

"Well", Jaime said, turning and walking back to Lord Stark.

"I'm willing to discuss mine, if you will your's", Jaime said with a smile.

Lord Eddard was silent for a moment.

"Good day, Ser Jaime. I have a Small Councel meeting to attend, if I may", the man said.

"Yes, yes, of course, Lord Stark! Don't let me hold you up from your.. Handly duties?", Jaime said with a slight chuckle, turning for the door.

"We'll see, Lord Stark", Jaime whispered under his breath as he made his way down the hall, to his son's quarters.

"We'll see who's secrets are exposed".

He had a smile on his lips.