Chapter 9

She looked so beautiful in her sleep. Once, when I was a Strigoi, I'd called her an angel come to avenge the rights of heaven. Because, despite her sarcastic attitude, she was an angel. At least, to me she was. Her gorgeous brown hair was splayed across the pillow and her cheek was pressed up against it. It made her look sweet and innocent and wonderful...she was everything I wanted and everything I couldn't have.

I scanned the room like a respectable guardian and noticed two exits: the door and the window. We were only on the ground floor, so the window shouldn't be too hard to get out of in an emergency. Not to mention the fact that this house had about seven people capable of fighting Strigoi. No wonder they never came here. It would be like Hell on Earth. The room was made of the same wood as the rest of the house, which meant we couldn't use fire as it would burn down. I doubted Raymond would be too happy about that.

The duvet rustled and Rose stiffened. I glanced at her curiously. Her face was hardened and I wondered if she was having a nightmare. Should I wake her up? I used to do that for my sisters. However, I didn't think Rose was the sort of person to care about nightmares. Besides, her stiff position stayed the same for ages, meaning it was the same dream. Shouldn't that completely defy the laws of science?

They were only supposed to last for about seven minutes each. And then it hit me. Dreams that defy science. It was so obvious. She just had to be in a spirit dream. So who with? Surely, if she were with Adrian, she'd be happy to see him? So who else was a spirit user that I hadn't heard of? Lissa couldn't do it yet...

The whole time, the only thing that changed was her facial expression, and even then it was only infinitesimally from anger to confusion. I briefly glanced around the room again, sat back and leaning against the wall. I heard a small gasp and glanced over to where Rose lay. Her back was to me now so I couldn't see her very well.

At first, I thought it was a shame. But then my inner voice, which sounded horrifically like my mother, yelled, Good! You shouldn't be watching young girls that don't have anything to do with you sleep! She's with Adrian. I sighed. Who would've thought that just when we thought we'd figured everything out, I'd become a Strigoi. Who would've thought that Adrian Ivashkov would be able to stop me from having what I truly wanted?