Chapter 26

I woke up at my usual time, my internal body clock waking me at a suitable time. Somehow, I still felt a lingering bliss after last night, and I rolled over, intending to wrap my arms around Rose, only to find her sat up with her eyes glazed over. I sighed, wondering what she was seeing in Lissa's head, and glanced at the clock. We'd have to leave soon, but I couldn't really force her to get out. Who knew? Something important could be happening. I didn't want to take any risks.

So instead I crawled out of bed and put on some boxer shorts before heading for the bathroom and quickly started shaving. As I was rinsing my face free of the gel, there was a knock on the door. I quickly dried my face, saying, "Just a second!" to the door. Sonya's Moroi hearing would've been able to hear, thankfully, so I wouldn't disturb Rose. I quickly threw on my clothes, not wanting to talk to Sonya in just my underwear, and then went to open the door. She stood on the other side of the threshold, looking a bit impatient. I could've sworn I saw the first traces of a smirk on her face and I tried my best to assume it wasn't to do with Rose and I. Although it probably was.

"We need to leave," she told me. "The front desk called about our check-in. Said it looks a bit suspicious. I say we leave before we get in trouble." I nodded in understanding.

"Straight to Court, yeah?" I asked.

"Yes, that sounds like a good idea. Shall we go now? Where's Rose?" She began to step in but I stopped her.

"Rose is still sleeping. I didn't want to wake her, but I'll probably have to now." Something told me Sonya knew better, but she turned away anyway.

"I'll meet you in the lobby in five minutes." And with that, she left. I rolled my eyes and closed the door, heading back to the bed. I shook Rose's shoulder gently, but to no response.

"Rose," I called her. "Rose." She blinked and slowly took in her surroundings, probably suddenly switching from the Court to our little hotel room. "We have to-"

"Oh my God!" she exclaimed. "You will not believe what I just saw!" I froze, her shocked expression alerting me.

"Is Lissa okay?"

"Yeah, fine, but-" I felt myself relax. As much as I would like to hear her story, we really needed to get going.

"Then we'll worry about that later. Right now, we have to leave."

"What's going on?"

"Sonya came by-don't worry." I felt a small smile curl the edges of my lips as her eyes widened. "I got dressed and didn't let her come in. But she said the front desk called. They're starting to realise we had an unusual check-in. We need to get out of here."

"No problem," Rose said, throwing off the covers and proceeding to get out of bed. I couldn't help that my eyes were drawn to her body. Any man would've been, especially after last night. Especially after knowing her, and loving her, for almost a year. She smirked.

"See something you like?" she teased. I recalled the last time she'd said that to me, but I'd given her a very different answer.

"Lots," I replied, not bothering to look away. She obviously didn't want me to. I stared her down and she turned her head, starting to get dressed.

"Don't forget," she murmured. "Don't forget..."

"I know, Roza. I haven't forgotten." How could I possibly forget the massive task she wanted from me? How on earth was I supposed to forgive myself?

Rose pulled her shoes on and then stood up brightly. I reached out for her hand but then pulled my arm back before she could notice. She wouldn't be with me if I didn't forgive myself. And we certainly couldn't be together in public. Watch yourself, I chastised myself. We headed down to the lobby together, where Sonya and Jill were waiting for us, and piled into the car, heading off on our journey.