Feeling Just Fine

"Should we take her to the hospital?" I looked behind me to see Jenna going through the freezer, grabbing ice cubes and depositing them into a plastic zip lock bag. We had zero frozen vegetables to try and put on her head, so we had to try and make do with the things we already had available. 

Jenna just shrugged, zipping the bag and walking over. 

"You've always been such a good help." Sarcasm fell from my voice, making it even more blatantly obvious I was displeased with the contributions that Jenna had been making to this endeavor so far. I had wanted her here to try and help me with what to do, but all she had done so far was bitch and moan.

"I got the ice!" Jenna said, obviously unhappy that her great work of putting ice into a bag wasn't getting the recognition it apparently deserved. If I had known she was going to be this little help, I wouldn't have woken her up. She was just in the way at this point. 

I just huffed and snatched the ice from her hand, leaning forward to put it on the girl's forehead. The blood had dried so at least she wasn't bleeding anymore, that had to be good, right? We could trust that she wasn't going to bleed out, or at least bleed on the carpet. Our land lord hated us enough as it was, we didn't need to give her another reason to kick us out other than the list she already had.

Neither of us were sure the ice pack was actually going to help, or do anything at all even, yet I leaned forward and carefully put it on top of her forehead, almost like I was approaching a dangerous animal and didn't want it to bite me. I had no idea when she was going to wake up and I didn't want her to think something kinky was about to happen to her. 

When the bag was balanced neatly on her head, I stood up and kind of backed away from the couch slowly and behind the table, mostly as a precaution. If she jolted away, throwing punches and kicks I didn't want to be caught in the crossfire.  

I heard her grumble something, it not sounding like an actual sentence or words in general, but it was still something to let us know she wasn't just completely dead. 

"If this chick is just trying to crash on our couch for the night, I'm kicking you and her out for emotional distress." Jenna threatened, obviously still not having believed my story even though I had gone into such detail I don't know how I could have made it up. 

"You think I'm still lying to you!" I accused, pointing a finger at her beside me. "I may be creative as fuck, but we both know there is no way I could have made something like this up." I could feel my face growing red, unhappy she would act like I would lie to her about something like this. 

Jenna crossed her arms and rolled her eyes at me, leaning back away when I pointed to her. "Screw this. I'm waking her up." 

She walked over to the couch and the girl sitting on it, leaning down and grabbing her shoulders before beginning to shake her so hard I was afraid on top of everything else this girl was going to end up with whiplash as well. 

"Fuck off." The voice mumbled, her arm coming up lazily to try and shove Jenna away from her, but with how limp her hand was, it instead looked more like she was trying to shoo away an annoying fly that was bothering her. Same thing I suppose. "My head is pounding." 

We looked at each other before Jenna just let her lay back on the couch again, huffing at this entire experience. 

"Can we get you a taxi? I'll pay for it if you leave sooner." 

I scowled at Jenna, walking over and shoving her to the side so she would stop treating her like some bum that had just waltzed in from the streets looking for a place to sleep. I would even let someone like that crash on the couch, but that wasn't the situation at hand. 

"Uh, what's your name?" I asked, bending down to look at the girl on the couch. I had been wondering it all along, hating that I didn't know the identity of the person responsible for helping me out. That and if she did die on us, it would be nice to have some sort of identification to tell the police. 

"Alexa." She mumbled again. She kept her eyes closed and rolled over onto her side, putting a lazy hand on the ice pack to keep it from falling off of her head. I knew that ice pack would be a good idea, just like bringing her here had been, whether Jenna wants to admit to it or not. 

Alexa, reached into her back pocket and pulled her wallet out, grabbing one of the cards and tossing it towards both of us. "Just in case you thought I was lying." 

I leaned down and grabbed it, having to hold back a laugh that it wasn't even some sort of ID, but instead one of those punch cards you get at sandwich shops. She was two away from a free one. 

"Okay, now that we know you aren't lying..." I looked up at Jenna who looked just as annoyed as before and not enjoying the situation as much as I was at the moment. "I just wanted to thank you for saving me from that dick. Both figuratively and literally."  

I looked down at her to see if she would laugh at the joke, but she just shrugged and mumbled something along the lines of a no problem. Now I know she has no sense of humor, I'll know not to try and make light of this drab situation and how now she refused to even offer to go home. I would have politely told her to say, but she still had a lack of an offer which was even more upsetting. 

"Well, we'll be headed off to bed. The kitchen is open if you need anything from it." I offered, putting the punch card back into a spare card space, not wanting her to lose that free sandwich she had been working so hard towards, and stood up. 

"Got it." 

Jenna and I exchanged glances and quickly walked back to our rooms. 

For someone who had stopped some greasy rapist from having his way with me, you would have thought she would have been a nicer person when she woke back up. I could only hope maybe she was just drunk or hungover, and tomorrow morning would be a fresh new start from this hell that has begun.