Missed Opportunities

I could hear my feet almost breaking the ground below me as they pounded the pavement, determined and set on my destination. She had left once before and I had less time than before to try and talk with her. It was her or my job and I had already made up my mind. 

"Alexa!" My voice rang through the crowd, causing the small girl to stop and turn. 

My arms wrapped around her, my body swinging from the force as I wrapped her in a hug. A phone dropped to the concrete, cracking sounds following, but in my blissful state it was something I couldn't have cared less about. 

"Fuck." 

Not quite the response I had been looking for, but my mind refused to be pulled down to anything less than happy and I didn't move, even as Alexa tried to move me. 

"God dammit, move." Alexa's arms reached out and shoved me off of her. 

My feet stumbled and I tumbled to the ground, seeing a phone that I could only guess belonged to Alexa. The screen on it littered with cracks and tiny breaks from where it had hit the floor and not taken the impact well. Well shit. 

Alexa frenetically leaned down and grabbed the broken phone, cradling the small device in her hands. I could only hope somehow the phone had already been cracked prior, but with the lack of excitement and the dismal feeling in the air, it didn't appear to be that way. 

"No, no, no! I was in the middle of an important call. What the hell is your pro..." Alexa trailed off, having probably noticed the tears beginning to dribble down my cheeks and collect on the sides of my face added with the occasional soft sob now. 

I couldn't help it. There had been a burst of energy inside me and I couldn't help but to run out here to get it out of my system. After her rescuing me though, all I had done included my roommate kicking her out of the house and now breaking her phone. My lunch break must have ended minutes ago, and now the only thing I could only expect a visit to my boss's office when I returned. 

"Lynn, why the hell would you run over here and jump on me?" Alexa leaned down now, her voice changing from loud and demanding to how you would talk to a child as they were being punished. It sounded calming in a way, but still terrified me. 

"Because I was excited to see you again, I still want to make us even for that night you rescued me and I thought I would never see you again." 

I looked down at the wet concrete below me, having fallen in a small puddle so when I stood up, they would be dripping with dirty water and mud. It was just the cherry on top of this horrible day. 

Seeing Alexa had seemed like it would lighten the mood of the day, but instead had only been making it worse. She was mad at me and I had caused it with no excuse other than pure excitement from seeing her again and the hard search for her being over. 

"You can't just jump on me every time you see me. I'll write my number down for you and you can call me after five." She paused long enough for me to nod in understanding, thinking that having her number would be a good start so that examining the streets in hopes of finding her wouldn't be an issue anymore.

Alexa pulled out an old napkin from her bag along with a pen and wrote down the numbers for her phone, handing it to me when she was finished. She grabbed my hand and helped me up with little to no effort and stuffed her phone back into her pocket this time. 

"Don't mess up anymore of my work calls, okay?" Alexa nudged me this time, her voice having become more playful than previous. 

I smiled, glad she wasn't entirely pissed off at me anymore and able to play around with it instead of yelling like she had been doing previous. 

Alexa pat my back before continuing to walk on with the crowd. I followed her figure until she disappeared and I could no longer distinguish her from the other many people in the crowd of people. 

When the euphoria wore off, I looked down at my clothes and knew I was going to have to change at home which would only take more of my time away from work. If I managed to keep my job after this, it would be a miracle. I would just have to think of excuses on my walk home again. 

I opened the door to my shared apartment, Jenna sitting on the couch with a mouth full of popcorn and an old crime movie playing loudly on the television. 

"Don't you just look snazzy." She said smiling, food falling from her full mouth and onto her lap. 

"Not in the perfect mood to be dealing with my loud mouthed roommate, I simply flipped her off and walked back into my room and shut the door before I would have to hear anything else from her. It's a wonder she's managed to live with me so long and I've managed to put up with it. 

I stripped-down all of the dirty clothes I had been wearing previous and exchanged them simply for something else still appropriate for work, but thankfully much cleaner. I hated having to go and do my laundry, but it was seeming more and more like I was going to have to soon. 

I delayed the process of going back to work as much as possible while I was changing, making sure that the dirty napkin from Alexa was safe and hidden in a drawer before I felt ready to leave. Ready to face my boss and every other problem seeming to get thrown at me. 

A/N: 

I'm sorry for such the long delay between chapters, but I just recently started up school again and always feel so pressed for time when I get back home that it was just hard to sit down and write something. Hopefully more chapters to come quicker next time.