When Can We Speak Again

By the time I had finished changing clothes and making sure I looked decent enough to go out in public, half an hour had already passed since my lunch break ended. The visit to see my boss seemed more inevitable than ever and my body felt petrified from fear of seeing her again. 

At work, behind her back and certainly behind closed doors, all of us called her Mrs. Hard ass. I'm sure she knew of the nickname, and I know that she's had worse nick names called at her, but that was all for a reason. Many rumors had flown around talking about why certain seemingly good workers had gotten fired, and the only explanation could have belonged to something silly or minor the person must have done while she was in a bad mood. For myself and my integrity of not becoming one of those rumors, I only hoped she had a lot of coffee this morning.

When I walked into the office, Brian gave me a curious glance, probably wondering what the reason could be for my tardiness. I had no proper excuse that he would understand without jumping to sex as the end result, so I just had to give him a warning look and walk back to my desk. 

Within no time, I heard my name being called an Stephanie, the new intern to the office who had glasses with lenses the thickness of a handful quarter and hair that was always in need of a brushing, walked over with a binder in her hand and a gaze that meant she thought she was better than everyone else in the office. I did have to admire her confidence while wearing a puke green body suit that even Hilary Clinton wouldn't dare to look at twice. 

"Lyndsey, please hurry up." The snark lingering in her voice just made me not want to follow her even more which was a talent she must have mastered over the years. No wonder Mrs. Hard Ass loves her so much, they're practically mother and daughter.

With much reluctance, I stood up from my chair and followed behind her, noticing the curious gazes popping up from various cubicles as I walked by them. The ever growing urge to flip all of them off and tell them to mind their own damn business only grew with each new glance, but knowing I was already in enough trouble as it was, I knew not to try and pull something like that. 

We finally reached the shut door of the main office, and Stephanie opened it and shut it behind me once I had walked in. At least she hadn't stayed to witness probably one of my lowest points, or highest if I actually manage to make it through this. 

"Where were you Lyndsey, you came in quite late." Mrs. Hard Ass turned in her chair, arms crossed in her lap. She was the spitting image of a stereotypical villain. All she was missing was a cat purring away in her lap. 

Suddenly, I broke into hysterics. I didn't feel the urge to cry actually coming on, nor did I ever plan being anything more than pissed off in her office for my short lunch break, but suddenly I was in a fit of hiccups and sobs in my boss's office. I certainly wasn't leaving with my dignity. 

"Lyndsey. What on earth are you crying about?" The shock in her voice was evident as she had to quickly grab a couple of tissues from her desk and force them into my hands in hopes I would stop crying. 

I used a few to dab away at my eyes and my cheeks until I had stopped long enough to be able to answer her question. It was obvious I didn't plan on indulging on seeing Alexa because then my telling of going to a gay bar would only weigh the story down. 

"I-I went to lunch and lost track of the time and when I tried running back here to be on time, some man tripped me and I feel into a dirty puddle so I had to go home and change." She was a sucker for tales of guys being jackasses. Was it a lie? Technically. Did I care? No. 

I could see her eyes darken in the way only a woman in her late 40's who had been betrayed by every man possible could do and her to nod. 

"Well, in that case. You can take the day off and head home to recover yourself. I'll see you tomorrow." She gave me a soft pat on the back before directing me out of her office. I nodded at her telling me to go home almost like I was reluctant, but instead practically did a little cheer to myself because holy fuck that had actually worked. 

I quickly gathered my things and waved bye to Brian, before walking out and back down to my shared apartment. I had a few hours before Alexa said I could call her and I had no idea what to do with my time other than maybe a well deserved nap after all of that. 

Lying so skillfully can really wear someone out. 

--

I heard an alarm going off next to me making me jump up from my blankets and covers because that only meant one thing. 

I could finally call Alexa. 

Grabbing my phone, I set in on an empty space on the duvet in my room and stared at it, almost like I was waiting to see if she somehow would call me instead and save me the trouble. Obviously that wasn't something that was going to happen and I had to soon give up my fantasy of that ever happening and instead call her. 

Even though it was only a few minutes after our designated time, I didn't want to seem needy. Something was just drawing me to this girl and I felt like I just had to repay her for what she had done. She could have actually died because of what it was she did and I was thankful a little bump and a life time of my gratitude was all that had happened. 

I only got a busy signal when I put my phone up to my ear, the deafening repeating beeps almost killing me. 

At least she had my number to call me now.