Chapter Four

Chapter Four

I waited an hour for Lily to text me back and got no reply. I was starting to get worried. She usually had her phone everywhere. I then called her and she didn’t pick up. I decided to call Jason.

“Hey baby sis,” Jason says sounding unusually happy.

“Hi,” I say.

“What’s up?” Usually he would ask why I was calling.

“Can you tell Lily, who should be over there, if she can call me? I was wondering if you could tell me what she was doing.”

“Oh yeah I should probably say that she found her mate.”

“Really?” I exclaim, feeling happy for her. “Who is he?”

“Ryder’s best friend. I think he’s the next second in command to rule the kingdom,” He says. “Apparently Luke is pissed that his little sister found her mate before he did and is in all overprotective mode and shit right now.” He chuckles and I can’t help but smile. “Lily and Alex, I think that’s what his name is, are probably in the bedroom now. They’ve been busy ever since dinner ended.”

“When did it end?” I ask.

“About 30 minutes ago,” He says.

Suddenly, I felt a bit betrayed that she forgot to even text me. Well, she found the love of her life so of course she would be distracted. She was probably going to forget about me in the future. Dammit though I needed to stop overthinking things. She wouldn’t do that. I mean, we’ve been best friends ever since elementary school. Now that she found her mate, it would mean she would move in with her mate and leave me here. Well, I would probably go with her and keep our friendship if I weren’t such a coward to go to that dinner and tell Ryder that I’m his mate.

“Oh, well you should probably remind her to come to our house since she promised to,” I try to say normally.

“Okay, I’ll go right now. Look I gotta go do something for my sis, guys. I’ll be back,” I heard him say to some people. It’s probably Luke and some other guy.

“Alright man,” I heard Luke say in the background.

“Later,” Some other guy says. I shivered at the voice. Oh no, it couldn’t be him.

“Who is that?” I can’t help but ask.

“What are you talking about?” He says.

“The second guy in the background,” I explain, “The guy who’s not Luke.”

“Why are you so interested?” He had a teasing tone in his voice.

“I’m not,” I lied. “I’m just curious.”

“Well, if you must know, the guy who was talking was Ryder.”

“Oh okay.”

“So that’s the only reaction I’m getting? You’re not freaking out like normal girls and swooning that I actually met the next alpha king?”

“Why should I be?”

“I don’t know. But I like your reaction because I don’t want you to be like those other girls.”

“Why?”

“You’re my little sister,” He says sounding a bit annoyed now, “I need to protect you from guys. Now stop asking questions. Don’t talk to Ryder. I don’t want you to get hurt.”

“Okay, okay,” I say, “I get it. I won’t, don’t worry. I’m still waiting on my mate.” I felt bad for keeping a secret like this from him. It’s not like I usually tell my family anything though.