Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

I scowled as Allie blabbered away with Lily as if they were already best friends.

Was I jealous? Damn straight I was.

Once Allie found out Lily was my best friend, she had an evil smirk on her face.

It was great. Not only was she trying to steal my mate, but she was going to steal my best friend too.

Lily talked to her excitedly, almost forgetting about me. She only included me in the conversation when she needed my opinion, to which I reply to with a shrug and an "I don't know."

I wasn't great at socializing. I'm sure you've figured that out already. I wasn't too big with making new friends either. Allie, though, was not my friend. When I laid my eyes on her yesterday, I knew we weren't going to get along.

Occasionally, she would send smirks my way. I really wanted to tell Lily what happened yesterday but she looks so happy talking to Allie. I shouldn't be so scared and insecure but I can't help it.

I had to get out of here. I needed to calm myself before Lily notices something was wrong. Allie can't know that she had that effect on me.

"Guys," I say. "I need to use the bathroom."

"Do you want us to come with you?"

I notice Allie roll her eyes. Lily was oblivious to her gesture. I wanted to glare at Allie but I refrained from doing so.

"No it's fine," I say. "I'll see you guys at the party."

Without another word, I quickly walked back up the stairs and toward Ryder's room. The house was huge but I managed to find my way.

But to my disappointment, his door was locked and I didn't have a key.

I growled in frustration and kicked the door, pretending as if it were Allie.

"Whoa there," I heard a male's voice come from behind me. "Why are you kicking Ryder's door?"

I spun around, slightly startled that I hadn't notice a person was there.

I opened my mouth to tell him I was Ryder's mate but who would believe me? I didn't even have a mark.

"I just felt like kicking a door," Was my lame excuse. "I didn't know it was Ryder's."

"Yeah, okay," He smiled. "I'll let you in if you like?"

I raised my brow. "Why? You don't think I'm one of those creepy girls after Ryder?" Because I'm pretty sure that's why Ryder keeps his door locked. He told me that girls who were obsessed over him sneaked into his room all the time.

"That's what I thought at first," His eyes filled with keen interest, "Until I realize his scent is all over you."

"You can smell him on me?" I asked. It was strange because if he could smell him on me, then other wolves could too. But they couldn't and it was strange that he could. Usually a female wouldn't have a male's scent all over her until they do some intense skin-to-skin contact or they mate.

"Yes," He replies with a knowing smile.

And then I realized he wasn't a werewolf. His scent was significantly different from wolves. I didn't know what he was though.

My heart pounded loudly against my chest and my wolf immediately became alert. Was he supposed to be here? Does he know I'm Ryder's mate?

"W-who are you?" I asked shakily and backed up against Ryder's door. "No... What are you?"