Really? I Couldn't Tell

I didn't see Logan that next Tuesday, we each met with the professor individually for help with our papers. I was hoping he'd be after me or before me, but I was the last one of the afternoon.

That weekend, my brother's team was going to the State Finals in Marquette, a whopping ten hours from our house. I was all for supporting him and his team, but they had to leave on Thursday morning and I couldn't miss my first class.

After class, I waited at the Student Center for Laura to finish golf practice, ever so patiently.

"Hey! Penelope!" Logan called out from the other side of the Student Center, "Wait a second!"

"What?" I asked as he came running over.

"Want to go to Nationals?" he asked with a smirk.

"What?" I asked once again, not sure what he was getting at.

"Coach said you can come to Nationals with us if your parents are okay with it," he said, "He put you down as team staff and you can ride the bus with us and the college will pay for your room and food."
"That's awesome!" I said, "I'll have to call my mom and let her know. Thank you so much!"
"No problem," he said, "We'd all love pictures from the tournament and we'd much rather have you taking them and tagging along to write about it."

"That's so awesome," I said, grinning from ear to ear, "Thank you so much."
"No problem," he said, "What are you up to today?"
"Just waiting for Laura to finish golfing," I said, "My brother's up at States in Marquette so I'm staying here."

"Oh jeez that's a ways away," he said.

"Ten hours," I replied, "it's ridiculous. I really wanted to go but I couldn't miss class today."

"That sucks," he said, "want some company while you wait?"
"Sure," I said, a smile creeping onto my face.

###

"He skated for six hours?" Logan laughed as I told him one of the many tales from the summers we spent at the rink here on campus, "You've got to be kidding me!"
"I'm not!" I laughed, "He skated for two hours in the morning at sticks and pucks, two more hours of sticks and pucks in the afternoon, then got undressed and did open skate for two more hours," I laughed.

"That kid is crazy," he laughed.

"I was done after the first sticks and pucks," I laughed, "I'm just kidding, I did both, I hate open skates though."

"Why?" he asked.

"Because there are too many people and I'm afraid to run into them and fall," I laughed.

"Really?" he asked with a smirk.

"Well some of us are only five feet tall and one hundred ten pounds soaking wet," I laughed, "It works a little differently when you run into people when you're small."

"Understandable," he laughed, "No way you're 110," he laughed, "I bet you're only 105."

"Last time I checked I was 112," I laughed, "You do know most guys don't ask girls about their weight right?"

"Hey you brought it up," he said, "Besides, I was complimenting you by saying you look smaller than that."

"Then thank you," I smirked.

"Anytime," he said with that sideways grin that made my heart skip a few beats, "Want anything from Starbucks?"
"I'm good, thanks," I said as he got up to get a coffee. When I was sure he was in line ordering I shot a quick text to Laura.

To Laura: LOGAN IS SITTING WITH ME TAKE YOUR TIME GETTING HERE <3

"Want part of this thing?" he asked, setting some sort of pastry on the table and two forks and two knives.

"What is it?" I laughed.

"A turnover? Lady said it was like a donut with jelly in it," he said, "She gave it to me because they're closing in a few."

"Nice," I said, "You don't want it?"
"Not the whole thing," he laughed, "I'm skating late tonight, don't want to see it again on the ice."
"Good idea," I laughed as he cut it in half and handed half to me.

"So when do you skate?" he asked.

"I'm done," I replied.

"Really? That early?" he asked.

"Yeah," I said, "I was just on a tournament team, we only played a handful of tournaments."
"Why?" he asked.

"Not enough girls to form a regular team," I said, "There just aren't enough seventeen and older girls out there."
"That sucks," he said, "Are you going to play here next fall?"

"Yeah," I said, beaming ear to ear, "For the Club team."
"That's awesome," he said.

"It's always been my dream. My mom took me to a varsity game a few months after I started playing, I was fourteen, and when I saw the girls out there playing I knew I wanted to come here and play."
"That's so cool," he said.

"Thanks," I said with a blush.

There were a few seconds of awkward silence between us before Laura and her lovely self crashed our party.

"Sup bitches?" she greeted, if you could call it that, as she sat down.

"Oh so now you show up?" I laughed, "Only fifteen minutes late."
"Well I couldn't seem to get it in the eighteenth hole so that took some time," she said.

"You staying with her this weekend then?" Logan asked.

"Yeah," I said, "It's better than staying alone."

"It's a hell of a lot better than staying alone," Laura corrected.

"What she said," I smirked.

"Ready to go? I told Natalie we'd meet her for dinner downtown in twenty minutes," Laura asked.

"I guess," I said, "See you later Logan."
"See you," he said as we walked away.

###

"Did you really have to greet us by saying, sup bitches?" I laughed as we drove downtown.

"It was the first phrase that came to mind," she replied with a smirk, "So what happened?"
"I was waiting for you just minding my own business and he yelled at me from across the Student Center then came running over and sat with me and told me that Coach Phillips and the team want me to go to Nationals with them."

"That's awesome!" she exclaimed.

"I know right?" I bubbled, "It was all his idea too. I texted my mom and told her and she and my dad are cool with it too. I'm so excited."
"When do they leave?" she asked.

"Wednesday morning, semi-final game is Thursday and finals are on Friday," I replied.

"That's so cool," she said, "Are you excited?"

"Extremely," I beamed.

"Really? I couldn't tell," she smirked.

###

***

"