(4) nose

Sophie felt her shoulders sag with relief as a beam of light opened up in front of the Havenfield house, glittering and fading away in the moonlight to reveal a tall, cloak-wrapped figure.

"It's about time, Keefe," Sophie snorted, still shivering despite the thick cape she had wrapped around herself. "I was about to go inside and wait there."

Keefe grinned. "By now you should know I like to arrive fashionably late, Foster."

"Not when it's freezing cold. Now c'mon." Sophie pushed past him, adjusting the duffel bag she had slung over her shoulder earlier that evening.

The Empath jogged to catch up with her. "Do you know where you're going?"

"Keefe, I've lived here for almost two years. Of course I do."

He glanced sideways at her. "Are you cold?"

"I think I'm—oh!" Keefe had just wrapped an arm around her shoulders. Sophie felt herself warm up immediately, and not because of the additional body heat.

They continued walking, huddled together, until they reached the edge of the cliff. The familiar anxiety-inducing gate shone in the moonlight. Sophie shuddered when she caught sight of the large mechanical lock.

"You okay?" Keefe whispered, moving his hand up and down her arm.

She nodded, not trusting herself to speak. They turned away from the gate.

"Here's good." Sophie led him to the grassy portion of the cliff overlooking the ocean. Keefe sat down with her, still keeping one arm around her.

Keefe stared up at the sky as she unpacked the duffel bag. "Hey, you're right. The stars are really clear in Havenfield."

"Grady told me it's the ocean. It makes them seem more sparkly." Sophie grinned up at him as she handed him a thermos of hot chocolate.

He shook his head. "This is the only time I'll agree that sparkles make it better."

Sophie elbowed him in the side. "Shut up and watch the stars, you idiot."

Keefe raised his eyebrows playfully. "Is that the only reason you invited me here?"

"What else did you expect?" Sophie joked back, then immediately regretted saying so. Her cloak suddenly felt too hot, despite the biting winter air.

His breath was warm on her ear. "I don't know. You were the one planning this."

Sophie turned her head to face him and blinked when she found they were nose to nose. His eyelashes fluttered. "Well, yeah, because when it's cold, the stars are... the stars are more, uh..."

Keefe's eyes sparkled mischievously. Snow-sprinkled blonde hair hung over his eyes. "The stars are a lot beautifuler in the winter, right?"

The Telepath raised her eyebrows. "You mean 'more beautiful'."

"Exactly." He grinned and leaned down to kiss her. She could taste the hot chocolate on his lips.

The broke apart but stayed close enough that their noses brushed. "You know, you were smiling the whole time," Keefe whispered.

"Oh really." Sophie gave him a incredulous glare.

He smiled crookedly, then swiftly kissed the tip of her nose. A rush of warmth spread across Sophie's face.

"You're too cute," she giggled, still red in the face.

Keefe laughed. "That's why you like me."

They sat pressed against each other underneath the winter night.