(14) teasing

Sophie bit into the sandwich, savoring the burst of flavor that went along with most things Edaline made. Or maybe that was just elven food in general.

Her previous thoughts were confirmed when Keefe moaned through his own mouthful of sandwich. "Your mom's food is the best," he told Sophie, muffled.

"Ew." She wrinkled her nose in mock disgust. "Close your mouth while you're chewing."

He smirked. "Make me." Sophie sighed in exasperation—only Keefe could smirk with crumbs all over his face and still manage to look cute.

She instead attempted to swipe a napkin at his face. "I'm not going to kiss you with mayo all over your mouth."

Keefe grabbed the napkin from her. "Yeah, I forgot about that. You're more of a ketchup person, aren't you?"

Sophie fought back a grin as she went along with his teasing. "Barbecue sauce, actually."

Keefe just blinked lazily at her from where he lay sprawled on his side on the picnic blanket. "Huh. Spicy," was all he said.

"Barbecue sauce is not spicy," Sophie scoffed, scooting closer to him to reach for the jug of lemonade.

"Even so, it reminds me of you."

She raised an eyebrow at him in disbelief. "Oh, really."

"Yeah. Sweet but with a kick." Keefe grinned at her, and Sophie knew a faint blush must have formed on her cheeks.

"Are you seriously trying to flirt with me using barbecue sauce?" Sophie asked. 

Keefe shrugged nonchalantly. "Did it work?"

She set down the jug of lemonade. "I can't tell," she replied cooly, although her face felt warm.

"You wound me, Foster," Keefe said, sticking out his bottom lip. "You're just as sour as barbecue sauce too, apparently."

"Very funny, Keefe." 

"Okay. You know what else?"

Sophie sipped her lemonade and raised her eyebrows at him to continue. The lemonade was sweet and tasted like berries. Bless Edaline. "What?"

"You're just as hot, too." Keefe flashed her a grin, and Sophie had half a mind to fling the lemonade jug in his face. Or drown herself in it. She wasn't sure which one was more appealing at the moment.

"For the last time, barbecue sauce isn't spicy. I don't see how that's much of a compliment," she replied.

"Aaand there's the kick we all know and love." Keefe smirked, moving closer to throw an arm around her waist.

Sophie threw a grape at him. "Shut up." She snuggled closer to him out of habit.

Keefe stuck his tongue out. "Make me."

"Do you still have mayo all over your face?"

Keefe wiped his mouth with the back of his hand self-consciously. "No," he grumbled, but his eyes were light and playful.

Sophie leaned over and gave him a quick kiss. "You're a dork."

"Takes one to know one, Foster," Keefe said, and tilted her chin towards him to kiss her again. It took all her willpower not to smile into it as she reached up to run a hand through his mussed hair. 

Keefe pulled away slightly. "One more thing," he murmured against her lips.

"Yes?" Sophie whispered, still a little dazed.

"Are you going to finish that sandwich?"