(7) awkward

The door slammed open, startling Sophie from where she lay on the bed, idly petting Iggy. The imp squeaked and dove under the pillow.

"Heyyy, Foster." Keefe grinned, waltzing in like he owned the place and setting his bag down at the foot of her bed.

Sophie rolled her eyes, but couldn't fight back a smile. "Hi, Keefe."

"Are your ready for our movie night?" He jumped down on the bed next to her, landing on his stomach with an 'oof' and causing the mattress to dip beneath him. Sophie shifted her elbows underneath her, but ended up slipping towards Keefe instead. He didn't seem to mind that they were pressed against each other from shoulder to elbow, though.

"Hmm. Pick one you want to watch," she said, gesturing dramatically at the spread of DVDs, all borrowed from Dex's mom—not that there was much of a variety to choose from, anyway. Almost all of them were cheesy romantic comedies.

Keefe fingered through them curiously as Sophie fiddled with the makeshift laptop Dex had made for her last birthday. It was very simply designed, with a touchscreen and keys that alternated between English letters and symbols of the Enlightened language. 

"Okay, I think it's working." She tapped a key and the screen lit up. Keefe inserted the disc he had chosen.

"Really?" she remarked, raising an eyebrow at the couple in a cheesy, romantic foreheads-touching pose on the disc cover. God, this was going to be disgusting.

Keefe grinned cheekily, then shrugged. "It's not like we have much of a choice, is there?"

She sighed and started up the movie. "Here we go."

-

"Dear god," Keefe grimaced. "What—"

"Please don't," Sophie groaned. Her face was buried in her hands, as it had been for the past ten minutes. "I really don't need to see this."

She felt the bed shift as Keefe leaned closer to the screen. "Is that his tongue?"

"Keefe."

"... That's a tongue."

Sophie peeked through her fingers at the couple passionately making out on the screen. "Oh, ew, you're right."

Keefe snorted. "Imagine if we kissed like that."

"Keefe!" Sophie removed her hands from her burning to face to glare at him.

"But seriously." He reached out to pause the movie, then propped himself on his side with an elbow. "How does that even work?"

She raised an eyebrow. "Are you implying what I think you're implying?"

He pursed his lips. "Mmm. Maybe. That is, if you want to."

"Why?"

Keefe turned an uncharacteristic shade of red. "Just, I don't know. Aren't you curious?" He dug a hand through his hair. "I mean, I was only half-joking, if it makes you uncomfortable I don't want to—"

His ramble ended in a muffled mmph as Sophie leaned over to press her lips against his. He threaded a hand through her soft hair to pull her slightly closer as he let slip a sigh, relishing in the taste of her cherry lip balm.

Well, now's as good a time as any, he thought, and experimentally flicked his tongue against her lips.

The effect was, well, instantaneous. Sophie drew back with a squeak as her fingers flew to her lips. "Did—did you just lick me?" she asked, her face burning scarlet.

"Um." Keefe swallowed. "Sorry?"

Sophie blinked, and then her face twisted as she collapsed on the bed in laughter. Keefe looked on, mildly concerned and confused, as a blush crept up his face.

"You're—such—a dork," she spluttered inbetween breaths. "I can't believe you licked me." Sophie rolled around, clutching at her sides. "Oh my god, I think I'm going to die," she choked out as she started laughing again.

"Yeah, how about we just—never talk about this again," Keefe mumbled, dragging a hand down his face in embarrassment.

"No no no, I'm sorry," Sophie giggled, then caught his blushing face in between her hands. "It was just unexpected. Sorry." She pecked him on the lips, and Keefe was sure he would explode with all the heat rising in his face.

"Now. Should we finish the movie?"

Keefe placed a hand over her wrist and ran his thumb along the soft skin. "Hmm. I don't know," he murmured, his lips curving into a smirk as he regained his smug demeanor. "I think I'd much rather keep doing what we were doing."

Sophie burst into laughter as Keefe tackled her and sent them rolling off the edge of the bed, their faces still flushed.