Chapter 41

"Four days? That's not even the first Friday of the month yet, let alone January," I sputtered. "What the hell is this guy thinking?"

"I'll tell you what he's thinking," Demitri replied, his hands tightening on the wheel. "He's preparing for his final kill."

"Final kill?"

"He knows he's bound to be captured, so he's speeding up his plans for his final victims."

"Do you really think he's going after another victim? I mean what are the chances that another person with the same characteristics as his past victims attends Monroe High? I think three was already pushing it."

"I don't think he's going after another victim with the same characteristics anymore. After Ashleigh, Skylar ran a search on all the females that currently attends Monroe High, and so far, none of the girls matched."

Skylar nodded. "We also think he's going after someone completely different. Woodway doesn't even have anyone with their characteristics either."

"So, does that mean he could go with someone that's com—"

"—Unfortunately yes," Demitri answered. "We're not even sure if his last victim is going to be a girl."

"But he's a serial killer. There's a reason for this! There's a similar fashion to his killings and so far they all had been girls. Even if he's changing the time of the kill, he wouldn't totally change his style, right?"

"I don't know, Lily. He'd already changed up one thing, who's to say he won't do it again," Demitri said, as he pulled into the same parking lot he'd the last time we were at Monroe High. Turning off the ignition, he turned towards Skylar. "Where exactly are you located, Skylar?" he asked, changing the subject. 

"First floor, girl's bathroom closest to the cafeteria."

"Did the school evacuate yet?"

"Not yet." Skylar shook his head. "But they did cut of entrance to the 'crime' scene."

"What about Ian?" I questioned, leaning closer towards Demitri so I could hear Skylar on the video feed better.

"With the principal now. He was definitely a handful when he arrived—"

"—Skylar," an unfamiliar voice spoke in the background. "We think we found something near the stall Miss Lynch was last seen at."

Skylar cranked his neck around. "What is it?"

"Hair samples," a guy with bright red hair said. "They're long strands too."

"Collect them," he instructed. "They might just be ordinary hair strands from the students here, but we can never be too sure."

"Yes, sir." The guy's voice boomed loudly, as he saluted Skylar. Skylar lowered his head at him in response, before he disappeared away from the screen.

"Sorry about that." Skylar turned back to us. "As I was saying before, Ian's acting a little bit—well out of hand. It would be great if you could go and try to talk some sense into him," he said, talking to me.

"Sure." I nodded. "I guess I can do that." Let's just hope he'll listen to me, otherwise, we're all doomed. An angry Ian isn't pretty.

"Great!" Skylar smiled widely. "It's settled then. I'll see you guys in a few," he said, before disconnecting, the monitor going blank.

"Ready to handle Ian?" Demitri asked, with a smirk.

Inhaling a large gust of air, I smiled. "As ready as I'll ever be."