Chapter 22

RECAP: After Avery's cousin got Bradlee's number (from her calling them on his phone), she gets Ian's number on Monday. Going to first period, she saw Bradlee with Kimberly. Turns out Kimberly has a crush on Bradlee and is practically shoving her assets at him. Avery helps Bradlee get her off his case which resulted in a yelling match between them. Mr. Meyer broke it up and they both apologized. Bradlee thanked her by writing it out on his phone. In the end he gave her his phone number (Avery doesn't have it yet - her cousins does), with the words here’s my number. I hope you save it, Av c: underneath it.

***

Bradlee. Why did his name even sound breathtaking to me now? I mean—he’s just a guy. A suspect—no less. There’s no reason to like him. But then why was my heart thumping so loudly? He only gave me his freaking number!

        His eyes held my gaze, watching me clearly. I gulped, completely lost in those ocean blue eyes of his. Seeing his lips move, I didn’t have to be a lip-reader to know he’d called my name.

          “Y-yes?”

        He pointed at the teacher, silently telling me to take a seat before I get in trouble. I obeyed quickly, not wanting another lecture from Mr. Meyer. Taking out my phone, I quickly dialed in his number before saving it under Bradlee. Peeking up from underneath my bangs, I couldn't help but smile when I saw the corners of his lips rising—his cute dimples showing.

        Pocketing my phone, I took out my notebook. Sitting sideways, I tried my hardest to listen Mr. Meyer as he started talking about a new subject. He went on and on talking about Homeostasis, and how it regulates your body's internal environment to maintain stable conditions in response to changes happening externally. Giving us some examples, he pointed to a new slide, showing us how it maintains dynamic equilibrium and how it effectively carries out certain functions in our body. I made sure to copy all this down, before I felt the heated stare of someone behind me.

        Knowing that it was Bradlee, a familiar feeling stirred up in the pit of my stomach. Biting on my bottom lip slowly, I tried ignoring those eyes of his. But as Mr. Meyer spoke deliberately slowly about reducing and increasing an organ’s activity level, I looked up, catching his stare.

        His eyes lit up, as he continued to gaze at me. He barely blinked, just watching me. I blushed, dipping my head down. Hearing a faint chuckle, the burning in my cheeks increased. Gosh. Why is he doing this!? Shouldn’t he be paying attention to the teacher or something?

        Noticing the fact that he didn’t even have his notebook out, I arched my brow, clearly confused. Was he that smart he didn’t even need to copy anything down?!

         Sensing a quiet vibration on the side of my leg, I immediately took out my phone making sure to block the phone from Mr. Meyer’s sight. Seeing Bradlee’s name flashing up on my screen, I quickly typed in my password before clicking on his message.

        Someone isn’t paying attention to the lecture ;)