Chapter 13

Before I knew it, half of my classes went by in a breeze. When the bell signaled for lunch, I was the first one out of my seat, rushing towards my locker. I was about to dial in my combination when I jumped nearly three feet in the air.

        On impulse, I twisted around smacking whoever scared the living daylights out of me. But, when I saw the familiar face howling in pain, I couldn’t help but gasp in horror. My hand automatically went up to his cheek, checking the damages I caused.

        “Oh my God!” I shouted, eyes-wide. “Ian, are you okay!?”

        “Kind of…” He grimaced, rubbing the side of his cheek. I bit my lips in guilt as I saw his pale skin, reddening. His eyes snapped up, round and doe-like. “Why did you hit me?”

        “I-I didn’t think it was you,” I told him honestly, feeling like shit. “I kind of reacted.”

        “Still!” He raised his voice, his lips turning into a pout. “That really hurts!”

        “Sorry,” I apologized, my shoulders hunching over in despondency. “I promise I won’t hit you next time.” I placed my palm on my heart, swearing.

        “Good.” He laughed, pout gone. “But seriously, Avery. You hit hard. I didn’t think you’ll get that scared.”

        “Well, it’s kind of hard not to when someone sneaks up on you like that. Like seriously!” I motioned my hands around as I talked. “How the hell did you even managed to get behind me without me hearing you at all?”

        His face twisted up into a smirk, waving his hands around as well. “It’s easy.” The smile on his face more pronounced. “It’s one of my many special skills.” He winked at me.

        I arched an eyebrow at him. “I don’t think scaring the living crap out of someone is considered a skill.”

        “It only ever scared you.” He shrugged, running his lean fingers through his platinum blonde hair. “And plus I wanted to surprise you. I thought you’ll be happy to see me . . .”

        “I am!” I exclaimed, seeing the glint of sadness in his eyes, even though his smile was still there on his face. “Just don’t do that anymore . . . I’m easily frightened,” I confessed, even though I hardly got scared when I was younger. I guess growing up changed that.  

        “Alright,” he promised, clapping his hands cheerfully together. “So,” he started out, hovering over my shoulders, “what were you doing before I got here?”

        “Eh.” I rolled my shoulders up, facing my locker once again. “I was going to switch out some of my textbooks before I head to lunch.”