xviii. Surprise

Okay, am I honestly the worst author ever or what? Come on, be honest. I am SOOOO sorry it's taken me so long to update and I don't even have a genuine excuse, I'm just a massive procrastinator. I really hope you can all forgive me! But without further a due, the newest chapter of AAO everyone.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was mid-afternoon and Riley and I were sitting on the carpet of the lounge-room playing Yahtzee. He was far to smug over the fact that he was winning. I'd never been good at the game and Riley had now realised that. It had been a couple days since Nate went to stay with Bliss. I hadn't heard from them but apparently Riley had, and he said they were getting along swell - that was accompanied by a little grin and I'm not quite sure what it means so I'll need to call Bliss and find out.

"Full house, baby, full house!" Riley shouted after he rolled his die. "Now I only need to get a good round of sixes and I win."

"Oh, shut it, Martin!" I said, looking dismally at my card. I was losing miserably.

Over the last couple days Riley and I had taken 'lazy days' as he called them. We lived in big jumpers and ugg boots, played board games and ate whatever we wanted. It was perfect.

Riley didn't tip-toe around me like everyone else did when my parents died, and that's exactly what I needed. I couldn't handle his pity. We hadn't spoken about my break down or the night that followed it but I felt so much more secure knowing that he was there for me physically and emotionally.

I was just about to roll my die when three loud knocks were heard coming from the door. My eyes grew wide and darted to Riley. No one is supposed to know this place exists. Someone found us. Someone found us. Someone found us.

He stood up very slowly and held his hand out for me to follow him. He led me out to the side window and made me stand against the wall.

The door knocked again.

Riley held a single finger up, telling me to keep quiet as he slowly peeked out behind the curtain, attempting to look at the intruder. He held still for a moment and I forgot to breathe. What if this is it?

We stood for mere seconds but they felt like minutes and just as the silence began to envelope me Riley growled. "What the -" he said, before ripping himself from the window. "Stay here."

He walked through the room and to our front door, opening it with a huff. "What in the world are you doing here?"

I swear I've never been more confused in my life.

Deciding it wasn't someone set out to kill me, I tentatively followed after Riley. When I reached the door and peaked out from behind Riley, my relief, confusion and joy all spiked.

"Spence!" I called, shocked to see him standing at our door. "What are you doing here?"

Without a word he held up a photo that contained my mum, my dad and me. My photo.

"You left it at the cinema the other day and when I followed your car to give it back to you, some guy was leaving and I didn't think it was the best time. I haven't had a chance to bring it back until today, but I figured you'd probably want it considering..." He trailed off but I didn't really care. After everything, I hadn't even noticed it was missing but now I wanted nothing more than to cling to it.

"Thank you. Thank you! This is the only photo I have of my parents with me. I can't imagine..." I stepped around Riley and hugged Spence. This action caused a loud growl to sound from Riley as he grabbed my waist and pulled me from Spence.

"Hey!" I said but it fell on deaf ears as Riley pushed me behind him and stepped right up in front of Spence in a very intimidating fashion.

"How did you find this place? And who else knows of our location. You have put her life in danger just by speaking to her let alone coming here. Tell me who else knows, Now!"