iv. Room 17

The bright sun outside my eyelids brings me back to the land of the living. I must have fallen asleep.

I keep my eyes closed and listen, Riley has the local radio station playing and he's singing softly to Yellow by Coldplay. It brings a smile to my lips that the big-bad police man knew all the lyrics to a Coldplay song.

"We will stop in at the next town if you're hungry." Riley stopped singing and glanced toward me. He knew I was awake.

"Okay... how did you know I was awake?" I was still kind if sleepy and I didn't think before asking that question. Whoops.

"Your breathing quickened and your eyelids started to flicker. I could see as soon as you woke up." Apparently he wasn't thinking either. I smiled.

"You were listening to me breathe?" I glanced toward him, now sitting rigidly in the driver's seat. All I wanted to do was scream out 'Busted!' but I refrained, instead sitting up straighter.

He groaned, causing me to smile. Let's see how he answers this one.

"It's my job to protect you and keep you alive. I have to make sure you didn't die on my watch within the first 24-hours."

"Oh, of course, it was your 'job'," I let the sarcasm roll, assuring him I believed him as much as I believed that fairies existed.

The quiet settled between us, bringing attention back to the radio that was still playing in the background. A news reporter's voice came on as she started going through the announcements. None of what she was saying interested me and I tuned out through the economy bulletins and weather. But when she began on the current affairs, a name came up that caused my body to stiffen and my fist to clench.

"...William Chase was convicted guilty of the murder of Adrian Greyson and his wife, Emily Greyson earlier in the week. Chase pleaded guilty to the crime, declaring the Greyson's "deserved what he handed them"..."

Riley growled loudly and leant to turn the radio off but I reached out and grabbed his arm.

"Don't," I said simply, returning my attention to the pitchy voice of the news reporter.

Riley stared at me questioningly but obliqued, placing his hands back on the wheel with a scowl.

"...Chase is awaiting the length of his sentencing and will be stationed at Wells Side Correctional Centre. Details on the deaths of both Adrian and Emily Greyson are yet to be released but it is understood that their daughter, Sabine Greyson, witnessed the deaths and testified against Chase, confirming his sentencing. Sabine Greyson has, however, gone off the grid and cannot be found by any media services..."

"Sabine-" Riley, again, reached for the dial and I grabbed his hand, halting it. I needed to hear this.

"...Detective Ben Hudson had this to say: "Sabine Greyson is believed to currently be in danger due to her testimony at the trial of William Chase, she has been put under constant protection and will return home as soon as possible..."

The reporter went on with the other news and I struggled to breathe. I didn't know whether to cry or sit in silence, absorbing the numbness. My chest tightened and I clenched my fists even tighter. It wasn't until then that I realised I was still holding Riley's hand and was now crushing it beneath my fingers. He didn't complain, though, and I didn't let go.

He drove for another five minutes before finally breaking the silence. But I didn't want to acknowledge it had happened.

"Sabine-,"he began, before I cut him off.

"Didn't you say we were going to stop? I'm craving a cheeseburger," I looked toward him and tried to smile but I couldn't bring it to my lips.

He nodded and returned his eyes to the road, looking for a place to eat.