Chapter 4: Powers?!

The pines twins and their small friend sat in a circle on the floor, a small, red, rubber ball in the center. Dipper rolled the ball to his sister, making sure that Billy could see. Then, when it reached Mabel, she rolled it back to her brother, keeping the moving object in sight of the blonde.

It had been a couple days since the boy had to be taken to the doctor. He had been adapting surprisingly well in the shack and, Stan didn't mind paying for and taking care of one extra person, as long as he didn't mess with any of his attractions or the customers.

He laughed as they rolled it back and fourth, often reaching for the red sphere when it was in the middle of its roll. The male Pines twin smiled at the young boy's actions while occasionally picking the ball up, pointing at it, and saying, "Ball! This is a ball!". "Bah!" The toddler would say, trying to repeat the brunette. This only made him smile further and chuckle at the boy's failed attempt at pronouncing the word.

"Biwwy want bah!" The blonde demanded, reaching for the object yet again. Mabel chuckled. "Billy wants the ball?" She asked, holding the red sphere and looking at the tiny demon. He nodded, reaching for it. "Nah, uh, uh!" She said, making the blonde look up at her. "What's the magic word?" "Pwease?" Bill asked before reaching out again. "Mabel," Dipper started, "I'm not so sure we should give this to him." "Bro, stop worrying! If he puts it in his mouth, we'll tell him to stop!" Before he could interject, she rolled the ball to the youngest of the group.

Billy smiled, picking up the rubber sphere and waving it around before dropping it on the carpet, making it bounce just slightly. He giggled before picking it up and dropping it again, this time laughing harder. The blonde picked it up again, dropping it just as he'd done before, but gaining a greater reaction.

After the fifth time, the male pines twin, tired out from laughing from all the cuteness, walked into the kitchen to get a glass of water. As he drank his beverage, he thought of all of the times he'd met Bill before. The first time was because of their rival, a fat, white-haired, ten year-old named Gideon. Bill had entered Stan's mind for the fat midget on a deal he'd made with him to steal a code to the safe where the Shack's deed was kept. The second encounter was before his sister's sock opera, a rock opera music concert done with puppets. Bill's deal this time was to get a puppet in exchange for the password to a laptop belonging to a colleague of the author. When thinking back, Dipper realized that, in a way, Bill did fulfill his side of the deal. He led them to McGucket, the man who programmed the laptop. Without the triangular monster, he would've never known about the secret connection between the author and the ratty, old hillbilly who lived in the Gravity Falls dump!

While thinking, the boy suddenly heard a scream from the other room. He almost dropped his water out of fear for his sister and ran into the next room where she and the blonde were previously playing happily. There, he saw his sister, sitting fearfully from a small inferno sitting on the carpet.

Without thinking, the brunette threw the water from his cup onto the fire, drenching it. Despite the water, the flames continued burning, as if there were no disturbances at all. He was about to run to get a fire extinguisher when he heard a high-pitched cry of anger and sorrow coming from the ball of fire. Apon closer inspection, the boy made out a small, human figure in the inferno. He was wearing a red, brick patterned sweater, white pants, and had on a white bow tie and top hat. Even further inspection revealed that the boy's eyes were black with white slits for pupils.

"Mabel, what happened to him?!" He asked, frantically. "I don't know! I just took the ball back!" She replied at the same level of intensity as her brother. "Try giving the ball back!" "O-okay!" The female Pines twin said before crawling slowly towards the flaming child. Slowly but surely, she made it to the boy and stuck her hand out, dropping the rubber sphere in front of the toddler. Almost immediately, the boy calmed down, his clothes and eyes turning back to normal and squealing happily as he picked the ball up once more and dropped it.

The two watched, fascinated, as the toddler played, processing what had just happened. Mabel spoke up first. "So, demons get their powers early, huh?" "Apparently."