Chapter 1

I'm suddenly being shaken awake and I spring up, accidentally hitting my mom on the way up. I look to my side and give an apologetic smile to her. Her lips move, but she immediately signs afterwards. "Sorry, forgot again." I shrug my shoulders and turn to my dresser.

I get off the bed and pick out my clothes for the day. Turning around, I see mom is still in the room. I give a fake smile and walk outside my room to the bathroom. I take a quick shower before applying my makeup and putting on clothes.

I walk out and force my breakfast down next to Andrew, my brother, at the dining table. He talks to mom about something, most likely me. I roll my eyes and get up to walk out the door, making sure to slam it shut behind me.

I know why I'm angry, and I know why it feels like I have a pit of emptiness inside me that's eating me whole. I just don't like talking about it. I would like to be ignorant of my having no emotions.

I get into the revolting car and scroll through the little newsfeed I have on my Facebook. I feel my seat rumble, meaning Andrew is in here and he's started the car.

Looking outside, I watch the trees and houses zoom by. Trees are so magnificent. I used to lay my head against the door and have my window down, letting the cool air hit my face. I would watch the trees and they would give me so much inspiration for my art.

My mom would always say that the trees are talking when they move around and make that rustling noise. I used to believe it, and I would always wonder what they were saying to each other. Do they notice me? Do they have best friends and enemies like we do? But that's for little kids. I'm not naïve to think they actually talk.

I suddenly get a tear in my eye. My brother must've seen it, though I try to wipe it away quickly, because he pulls over.

He knows what I'm going to do next, so he pulls me into the middle seat and hugs me. Tears pour out of my eyes, and I can feel the vibrations of my loud sobs. Out of all my family, he's the most understanding. Though he does try to get me to talk, which is irritating.

Once I'm finished balling my eyes out, I move back to my seat, redo my makeup, and Andrew starts driving again.

I fix my hair and touch up my blush to make it look like I wanted them this red. I put on extra mascara, trying to draw attention somewhere else on my face. I give out my best fake smile to the mirror and push it back away as we arrive.

I give my trademark phony grin over at Andrew before he drives away. Walking into the building, the whispers already start. They point and talk freely about me. Some even laugh.

I ignore all of them and make it inside alive. I reach Cameron first, and I see she has the new haircut she's been raving about.

I like it; it's as short as a guy's with a short mohawk down the middle that stops in the middle of her right eye. She points to her hair and puts up a thumb, transitioning it between down or up. I give a thumbs up, showing that I like it and her smile grows wider.

I've always loved Cameron's style; she can pull anything off. Last week, she had extremely long and amazing brunette hair that was curly beyond compare. And this week, she has it cut and dyed to a light blonde.

She's always wearing ripped jeans with a short tee that has words in all caps. It really fits her dark makeup. She doesn't act like her outfits though. You know, unapproachable and scary? She's actually really sweet.

I suddenly feel a hand on my shoulder and it's become normal for me, so I don't jump. I look to my side, hoping it's Megan.

She smiles over at me with her dark green eyes. Now Megan's style is completely different. She's always wearing her sweatshirt and jeans. And she can pull it off. Her black hair is always so natural and curly, stopping at her armpits.

One word to describe her? Cute. Well, to me. Guys are always drooling over her, but I say she's cute. She's extremely innocent and she's always blushing or ducking her head down when someone compliments her.

Now for my style. I'm more of the hipster type, so right now I'm wearing black jeans with a tucked in white tank. I have a red long coat wrapped around me, only one button attached. I have ankle high boots on over the jeans. So I pretty much wear the latest trends.

We all sit down at our spots and the two get their boards out. Their sign language is getting better, but not quite there yet.

Megan writes something first. They think it's best to only talk to each other through the board also, so it's fair for me. I'm sure they actually speak when I'm not around though.

Let me see your schedules. Megan writes to us. I pull mine out of my backpack and show the two. Cameron looks at mine first. I look down at Megan's and see that we no classes together. Makes sense.

Cameron looks at both and excitedly writes. I have second and sixth with Megan!

Well, I have none with Ashley. Megan writes, looking disappointed. Don't worry, it's better that way.

Same. Cameron writes. What'd you think was going to happen?

Do you know if you have any classes with Hunter, Ashley? Megan asks me a direct question, slightly pushing the board my way to write back. I only shrug and push the board back, getting up to go to my first class.

Of course I have no classes with him. I kind of only have one class, and that is a class with only one student and one teacher.

I walk in and sluggishly walk to the seat in front of her desk. She gives me a hopeful smile and starts signing immediately.

"Have you talked at all?" She signs. I shake my head no, not opening my mouth once.

"Why don't you write out your frustrations?" She signs again. I roll my eyes, but get some paper anyway.

Instead of writing like she always wants, I do what I do best. I sketch.

First, I sketch me straight dab in the middle. I'm standing alone with no one to support me. No one to help me. I have my hands over my eyes, and I'm crying into them. Then, around me, I have people from school laughing at me. Some I recognize. I make sure to have Hunter, Cameron, and Megan in there. I also add my family. My mom, dad, Andrew, and even my grandma. All laughing at me, pointing and staring at me.

I suddenly grab another piece and start sketching me in the far left. Everyone in class is looking back at me from their seats. They're waiting for me to answer something. I add a teacher at the front, smiling like she's done something diabolical. Wait, she has. She's asked a girl who can't hear to answer a question.

When I'm finished, I look up suddenly and see my teacher looking at my drawings. "Is that you?" She signs.

Duh, of course it is. I don't have to answer. I let a tear slide down my cheek, and I back away before she can hug me. I push the chair back, probably creating a loud screech along the hard floor. Like the picture says, no one helps me. And no one can. No matter how hard or how many different ways they try, nothing can, or will never help me.

Yes, people have to sign to me, or write down on boards when they're around me. And it's all because I'm deaf.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey everyone! Not sure if I should make this story or not, but I had an idea and I wanted to try it. How do you all like it? Should I continue or just scrap it? Please be honest, I'm really not sure if I should do this. The updates will be slow until I finish My Little Bump. Please comment or message me!