Chapter 6

I walk into my second period feeling like crap. Cameron and Megan smile over at me and point to my seat. I roll my eyes, but fake a smile nevertheless. Cameron gets back to her work with an intense frown while Meg does the same, but with a carefree smile. The two couldn't get anymore different. I look to the board to see the assignment.

Start on a project that expresses your anger or sadness. No one will see it but me, so don't be afraid to spill your feelings. It says with his signature at the end. I bite my lip at my idea while walking to my table. I take a quick look at Cam's and Meg's drawings so far.

Meg has forgotten about the assignment as she has a half drawn sad puppy beside her, but she's now working on a beautiful butterfly. She sees me looking and writes something on her board quickly. Dark blue is sad, right? I nod with a small smile. Oh, little innocent Megan. Looking at Cameron's, her drawing consists of just a pencil, but her strokes are so ferocious that I can see she's angry. I only see a quick look before she covers it up in shame. It's a tall man yelling at a little girl on the floor. This girl is sad, but I don't see anymore. It's Cameron's dad.

I sit down and pretend I didn't see it because Cam is not one to express her feelings in words. I start mine, but I'm stuck. I'm not sure how I should put all of my anger into one page. I think about it for at least a half hour, and formulate a plan. Just as I'm about to press my pencil against the paper, Cameron taps my shoulder. I look up into her misty eyes to which she avoids eye contact.

We all walk out together and only Meg talks on her board. My classes up to lunch are the same as Friday. The girls in PE deciding to steal my workout clothes, leaving me to workout in jeans and a loose fitting shirt. Basically, by the end of class, I'm scratched from being tripped by students on the track, and I'm covered in sweat.

I walk to lunch with a red face and sit down with Meg and Cameron. The two smile at me, Cameron back to her old self. I decide to walk around the school alone, which I know is an idiotic decision. I'm able to avoid feet and I take in the shoves against the lockers. I finally find a slower hall and decide to walk in circles until someone taps on my shoulder. Taps? Probably an accident.

I turn around and look up. It's the guy who was staring at us on Friday. He looks down at me with a small real smile and his bright green eyes stare into mine. His mouth moves. He's asking a question as his eyebrows are furrowed and he wears a thoughtful frown. I freeze yet again. He doesn't know I'm deaf.

He asks again, tilting his head in a confused way. I press my lips together in a nervous way with my own eyebrows furrowing together in a panicking way.

He notices my distress and holds his hands up, saying another thing. Suddenly, he looks over to another person and I look over at no other than the boy himself. Hunter. He rolls his eyes while walking slowly in our direction. His posse is walking behind him. Hunter looks at me and I keep my ground, looking confident. But on the inside, I am petrified. He finally reaches us and Hunter looks over to the guy. They're about the same height, but Hunter's build is a little smaller than the guy's

Hunter says something and then makes a dismissive pass of the hand. The guy turns to me, and then back to Hunter. He's so confused. Hunter says something else and makes his dismissive hand even more prominent.

The guy turns to me and signs. He actually knows sign language! "Are you really deaf?" He asks. I look down ashamed which answers his question. When I look back up, I see Hunter saying something loudly. I can see a couple of his words. "I... Go!" The guy finally starts walking away and I look over to Hunter. He gives a maniacal smile before pushing me up against a wall and shoving his hand around my throat.

My hands reach up to his immediately and try prying his cold and rough hands from me. He's too strong though and the hall is already starting to blur.

Just before I know I'm about to pass out, the hand releases and I fall to the floor in a ball. I take in quick ragged breaths and a tear slips out. I wipe it away and look over to Hunter. He's gone though. I look around for him, and finally see him on the ground. When looking back up, I see Hunter's cowardly posse down on the ground beside him instead of fighting back.

The new guy yells something at the group; something I can pronounce but rather not repeat. He walks over to me and kneels down beside me. I give a fake scowl that falls the second I see his caring eyes. My breathing finally calms, and he easily pulls me back up. I dust myself off then walk back to the cafeteria.

The guy catches up and asks me questions through his hands the entire way, but I ignore him and lead him to our table. When finally seeing Cam and Meg, I point them out to him. He gets the point and shuts up. We reach them and Meg sees me first. I point to the guy in a desperate motion, and she gets the hint. She gets Cam's attention and the two begin explaining my problems.

I watch his facial expressions which stay motionless the entire time. When I believe they're finished, he pulls my board from the table and Meg's pen. He writes something and shows me it.

My name is Jacob. I'm new here, and sorry if I got you in trouble back there. I give a small smile, accepting his apology. Cameron shows us both her board.

You wanna sit with us? She asks Jacob. He nods, and Cameron begins to tell him about how they only use boards around me. Jacob looks down at his board, writing something himself. I look over to Meg to give a half smile then sit down, but I freeze in place when she gives me a little wink. I try to play it off, but end up looking like an idiot and choking on thin air.

Cameron pats my back until I'm fine and I sit down next to Meg. She holds in her giggling, letting her cheeks grow red. I give Meg my pen since Jacob took hers so the three can talk while I watch.

Um, I haven't really made any friends yet. Jacob writes and shows us his board awkwardly. I'm sort of a social outcast.

You'll get along great with us. WE are the social outcasts of the school. Meg writes with a confident smile. Cameron is suddenly pulled away by her boyfriend and Jacob cocks his head.

You sure about that? She has a boyfriend who obviously has friends. He writes, pointing to Ryan and his basketball team. Cameron stands by his side, looking uncomfortable. Her hands are intertwined with her eyes down to the ground. The guys are all talking to each other paying no attention to poor Cam.

Meg stands up and leaves the table, walking towards her with a determined attitude. She pulls Cameron by the hand who almost falls over by the sudden pull. The two pull it off though and make it back to the table. Cam has a proud smile while Meg sports bright pink cheeks and a nervous smile. She writes on the board quickly and shows us the sloppy writing.

I can't believe I just did that! Are they looking at us?

I look over to the group and see two guys staring at us, particular Megan. One wears a carefree smile while the other one looks at her with furrowed eyebrows and a small grin. Ryan also looks over at his girlfriend with a cocked head and a little frown.

Uh, no? Cameron writes with a small smile. She looks over at Ryan and her smile turns into a sad one. She hides it quickly though and her lips turn back up to us. I can see through it though. You can't fool the master of a fake grin. She's sad. Her relationship with Ryan must be in trouble.

I finally focus my attention back to the group and Jacob is showing his schedule. I look at it also and point to a class. He writes on his board and shows only me. We have science together? I nod and Meg gets his attention, also pointing to a class.

I see people leaving their tables meaning lunch is over. We all get up except for Jacob. He looks at something behind me with a big grin. I turn around also, and see Hunter. His group is beside him, trying to look cool but fail. Hunter has a disgusted expression, but you can't see his whole face because he's pinching his nose to stop the bleeding. I turn back to Jacob.

We're going to get along greatly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys! Sorry for the long delay. I've been really busy with school and homework. I really hope you all liked this chapter! I'm not going to have questions this time because I just got up and I'm super tired. I know this chapter is shorter, so I'll make sure the next one is longer.

Thank you so much for reading! Please tell your friends, vote, and comment! Love you all so much!!!