Chapter 7

Christmas used to be my absolute favorite holiday. Getting presents, buying a gift for a card on those trees in the mall, and I especially loved seeing my friends and family opening my gifts. No mean to brag, but I'm the best at gift giving. Anyways, Christmas is not my favorite holiday anymore. Now I have no favorite holiday. And don't even get me started on my birthday.

Suddenly, I'm poked on the shoulder by someone. I look up and see Cam's big eyes staring down into my eyes. She has a certain sparkle in them today that lets me know she is definitely in a good place with her boyfriend right now.

It's been a couple months since we started school, meaning we've known Jacob for the same amount of time. He's a pretty cool guy, and I love how he doesn't try to get me to speak. My family and even my two best friends still attempt to get at least a couple of words through signing, but he doesn't. He just talks about himself while Meg tells him my life story. Since we're best friends, she knows exactly how much I want him to know and when I want it to be told. No one has mentioned the accident. And no one ever will.

Cameron excitedly takes a seat across me, practically bouncing off the seat. She yanks her board out and sloppily writes something before showing me. It's Ryan and my anniversary today! She sports a big smile with sparkling eyes. Jacob, sitting beside me, writes something on his own board. He used Cameron's or Megan's board for a while until just a week ago.

Cool. How many years is that now? He asks. Cameron puts up three fingers with a giddy smile. I watch her with happiness as my best friend practically bounces on her seat in anticipation.

I see Ryan walk in the school doors and he's holding a girl's hand. She gives a peck him on the cheek, but he swiftly turns his head and gives the random girl a passionate kiss on the lips. He pulls away and walks up to put his hands on Cameron's shoulders, leaning over her to kiss her on the lips. I freak. Who was that girl?! Cameron obliviously walks away with Ryan and I look over to Jacob who acts like nothing happened. Did he see what just happened? He talks to me, but I ignore the board, having an internal panic attack.

My breathing quickens, but I make sure I hide it. I look over to the basketball team table and see the two happily holding hands and she gives him a quick kiss.

Jacob nudges my shoulder and shows me his board. Aww, Ash is a little jealous! He shows me with a sly grin. I roll my eyes and fake a smile, but I know he can see through it. He doesn't say anything though. I walk to my first period once the bell rings, and I'm still not sure how to handle this. I can't talk to anyone, but this is huge. Bigger than me not talking.

I contemplate what I should do through the whole day, and come up with a plan by the time I get home from school. One that doesn't force me to talk, and it will put a spotlight on that two timing jerk. Unfortunately, I have to wait a couple days to initiate the plan.

It's Friday night, so Cameron and Meg come over despite their anniversary. She claimed that we can't break tradition no matter what. The two talk about him, and Meg brings up a subject that she talks about every single week.

So... What do ya guys thing about Jacob? She asks, giving me a little wink, though no one else is here. I roll my eyes and decide to place the Cameron Ryan situation on the back burner for the night. I'm not going to me that sleaze ruin my weekend. I mean, he has nothing to ruin. My weekends just consists of self pitying.

I roll my eyes at her as Cam writes back to us on her board. He's pretty cool. Why do you keep asking? Does someone have a little crush? Megan's eyes grow wide in realization as Cameron is talking about her.

No! I'm talking about how him and Ash would make an adorable couple. She defends herself, letting us see as she writes. Cam looks over to me and I shake my head no, saying that she's lying. To this, Megan blushes a deep red and Cameron throws her head back with her mouth hanging open. She's laughing.

Can we please talk about something else? Megan writes with a frown. She sends a playful scowl to me and I give a small fake smile. Let's talk about Cameron and Ryan! She suggests. My lips fall from the smile into a blank line. Cameron gives a proud smile. I can't see her Monday when she figures out about him. I watch her carefully as to not give any alarm off in her.

She writes something on her board lightly, so her and Ryan must've had a great anniversary. He gave me this necklace. She shows her board while pulling out a petite chain from under her shirt. Hanging from it shows a little heart with the letters, C & R on it, an arrow attaching them. Meg gushes at how beautiful the thing is while I hold in my choice words for him.

My phone vibrates in my pocket and I pull it out, seeing Jacob's smile fill the screen. I press answer to the FaceTime request. I then place his face in the middle of the bed, and he shows us something on his board.

You guys busy? We've decided, well Cameron and Meg decided, not to tell him about the weekly sleepovers because he'd ask to join and Meg's mom would not like that. Meg shows a nope on her board to him and he asks what we're doing. Cameron tells him were having a sleepover through her board and he asks where. The three of us exchange nervous glances before Meg decides to write, Ash's. She shows him the board and he quickly writes, On my way. Cameron slaps her palm against her head and the two talk about how to explain it. Why not act like this is just a spur of the moment thing?

Let's just act like we decided to do this right after school? Now I roll my eyes. I just thought of that! Cam agrees and their eyes shift to the door. He's already here. Megan moves quickly and swiftly opens the door to the big dork who stands with a smile and raised eyebrows. He suddenly shows us his board my dread turns into amused interest.

Sleepover time! Cameron and Meg immediately burst out laughing by his goofy smile and enthusiastic posture. He winks over at me and my eyebrows furrow. Why is he winking at me? I shrug it off casually in front of him and roll my eyes, but I am completely confused on the inside. Why the heck did he do that. An unwanted blush creeps onto my cheeks and I get up smoothly as if moving to the bathroom.

When reaching the room, I check the mirror and wait in here until it's gone. Good. Pale as ever. When I come out, the writing stops. Jacob looks me in the eye with a small nervous smile while the other two avoid eye contact. What's going on?

Jacob puts up his board and I freak the second I read it. We need to talk...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi everyone! Sorry it took SO LONG, but I have lots of homework and I'm trying really hard to find the time to do it all. I'm not going to do questions because that'll just take longer and I'm super tired.

Thank you so much for reading this far! Please comment and vote! Love you all SO much!