1.

T W O M I N U T E S B E F O R E Z A Y N M A L I K D R O W N E D

Water is merely hydrogen and oxygen combined together.

Zayn Malik is a beating heart and love and lies combined together.

One is elemental and atmospheric, while the other is diverse and alive.

They were never meant to be.

Water crashes in around his head, having absolutely no mercy. His insides are burning.

And he almost laughs, because never did Zayn Malik think that water would scorch him of all things.

But then it's not very funny anyway, and it just reminds him how wrong he has been about everything all this time, so the laugh just ends with an almost.

He forces his eyes open and stares through the blurry water threatening to submerge him with every passing second. He looks through and catches a glimpse of the sky above him.

And he starts to cry, because it's so blue. The sky is so blue and it is infinite, like he once thought he was. But now it is too late, he thinks, because the blueness of the sky will soon be gone, until it is all just black.

He was never meant to be.

His lungs are practically exploding, and his heart is slowing, and starbursts distort his vision. He feels an inexplicable urge to give in to his intuition and throw his head out of the water, to breathe in again, just one last time.

He wants to breathe.

He wants to change the world.

He wants his goddamn life back again.

Why didn't he notice how fucking blue the sky was?

But it was never meant to be, and he feels himself slipping away, fading. And it is then that everything somehow falls into place, and he understands.

Zayn is not a mess of lies and brokenness and mistakes. He is simply and painfully human.

He is human, and he is ashamed of it, but he understands now.

He is meant to be, like everyone else.

And Zayn Malik closes his eyes.