14.

Zayn was pissed. He kept tugging the buttons on his school blazer, his lips pursed in a perpetual scowl and his eyes darting to his left.

Because there was a new boy in their year, and he may or may not have been an infinitesimal bit cuter than Zayn, and Faye Cartwright was looking at the him and Zayn can bet she has a crush on him, so he's pissed, because he's the cutest guy in Year Seven, remember?

Apparently, this Liam Payne (who has pathetic social skills, in Zayn's opinion) is uninterested, because his head is bent and he's writing in some black leather notebook (lame, in Zayn's opinion once more).

And Zayn hates that he's the teacher's pet within five minutes of introducing himself (too much stammering, according to Zayn), and he hates that all the other boys want him on their team to play footie (he can't kick that ball to save his life), and Faye Cartwright (who Zayn's had a crush on for, like, ever) stares in his direction and whispers stuff to her friends, probably regarding how hot he is.

And because Zayn is pissed, he decides to take matters into his own hands.

He pulls some paper out of his notebook when the teacher's back is turned (he never cared much for History anyway), and writes down one word describing the new boy, then passes it along with a, "What d'you think of Liam Payne?"

So because Zayn Malik labelled him as a 'prick', the entire class negatively mocked Liam Payne through words on a tattered notebook paper. When it had rotated around the entire class and landed back in Zayn's ink-stained hands, he tapped Liam's shoulder and passed him the paper full of twenty-three insults directed right at him.

When Liam unfolds the paper, his heartbeat becomes irregular and his fingers fumble. He grabs his own pen and scribbles down something on the paper, handing it back to the (smirking and very pleased with himself) Zayn.

It was the first time in his life that Zayn had been called a 'moronic imbecile' and perhaps the very last time he'd mess with Liam Payne, whose vocabulary was, incidentally, much more advanced than Zayn's, and whose self-resolve was admirable.

And Liam Payne was blessed with the knowledge that words are sharp. Sharp enough to force his wrists to bleed that night, and sharp enough that he forgot how to lace them together entirely.

//

omg this'll make more sense in the next chapter okay promise but weyhey leeyum's character :D

if you have any questions/theories, i'd love to hear them! comment them below c:

and as always, thanks for voting and sharing and stuff. you guys have no idea, it means the world to me. seriously.