2.

It's fair to say that Lake Monroe is an unattractive sight one autumn evening.

It is choked with ambulances, their flashes of red and blue very nearly blinding.

It is suffocated with paramedics moving so fast, they blur.

It is obstructed by panic and fright.

Lake Monroe is choked, suffocated and obstructed because a nearly-dead body floats on its surface.

Nurses rush about, moving so rapidly they turn into blurs. They yell at the top of their lungs.

"Move it now, quick.."

"Get the body to the hospital-"

"His lungs- they're full of water! He's in critical danger..-"

"Move out of my way, dammit."

A soaking-wet body is lifted out of the lapis-coloured depths of Lake Monroe.

The boy's eyes are shut, his long lashes casting shadows across his face, which has a deathlike pallor. His arms and legs are laced with a labyrinth of wrinkles from being underwater for so long, and he is stripped except for his swimming trunks.

He is rushed into the nearest ambulance and its doors are shut, blocking the body from view.

Nobody notices the girl standing on the far edge of the lake, her eyes brimming with tears. She clutches a maroon jumper to her chest, breathing in its familiar scent of spice and mint and secrecy.

"Don't go, don't go, don't go," she is whispering furiously, like repeating a mantra will save him.

It's never worked for her, though, and it's not working for her now.

The ambulance pulls away.
Zayn is taken away.
Clementine is left standing.

Just like that, Zayn is taken away from her one more time and she is left standing and stranded.

//

a/n: thanks for reading omg! :o x

i'll update when this gets at least 5 votes c: idk lol

ily all to pluto and back k bye