Chapter 29- Something to Tell You

"Don't worry though," he whispered with a smile. "Take as much time as you would like to decide. So, what were you going to ask me?"

The cold. The full moon shining overhead, a mere whisker's length too short to be the Gathering's signal. The stars, twinkling, staring down at her and expecting an answer as vividly as Rapidflame. It was all too much. Was she really supposed to say what she had been planning to? After he had just asked her to be his mate?

Was it?

"Splitrain?"

Rapidflame covered the paw steps between them and pressed his warm pelt against her own.

"Are you cold?"

Splitrain took a deep breath and expelled the thoughts buzzing around in her head like gnats in the summer.

"Yes, I'm fine, it's just... never mind!" she winced at the horrible sound of her voice cracking as she tried to sound enthusiastic, "I mean... I was just going to tell you about this huge rabbit that wandered from Windclan and straight into my paws! Look... I have to go, before I'm missed. I'll see you at the Gathering tomorrow."

Rapidflame, although worried at her confession outburst, nodded and licked her ears affectionately, "I'll see you then, Splitrain."

With a half-hearted smile that she hoped he took as reassuring smirk, she ran almost twice as fast back to the camp. She needed a plan.

And she knew exactly who she would go to.

...

"Splitrain? What's the matter?" Honeyflame held back a yawn as she questioned her.

"It's important that I talk to Sharpstar, right now."

She sighed, "Can this not be postponed until the morning?"

"No, Honeyflame, it can't wait."

The tired deputy gave a reluctant nod and led Splitrain into the leader's den.

It had been over six moons since she had last been in this den; the earthy smell of the black stones and the huge green leaves, sheltered from being browned and curled, still held unintelligible scribbles and shapes. What was Sharpstar doing with all of these things?

The said russet leader was hunched over the leaves, forehead furrowed and tail lashing irritably.

"Sharpstar, Splitrain wishes to speak to you right away. She says it cannot wait."

The leader of Shadowclan turned her attention from the leaves to Splitrain.

"What do you need?"

Suddenly, Splitrain couldn't speak. Where had her resolve gone? Her defiance? Her courage?

She felt as if the fate of Starclan weighed upon her shoulder blades. It made her mouth unable to open, to explain the inevitable. The obvious. The destined.