Chapter 41- Nine

Sharpstar's vigil was done at sunrise and the senior warriors carried her back to camp, but Splitrain was nowhere close to being able to say goodbye. Skyheart was not her mother. Sharpstar was. Now she was truly an orphan.

Moongaze, who had watched her with worried eyes, now took this free moment before Mintbreeze came back with the herbs to lick her cheek and whisper sweet nothings in her ears, telling her that everything would be okay. Driftswipe was sleeping nearby with Bonerun, who sat silently watching the sun rise higher into the sky.

The forest and clearing was eerily quiet, as if the very creatures were mourning, also. Splitrain felt a dullness in her head and paws as she pulled her body over to the huge Fourtrees and climbed up onto the lowest branch. Her Clanmates had all realized that she was going to speak and awoke all who were sleeping, and she waited another moment before speaking with a shaky voice:

"My fellow Clanmates, Riverclan owes us much blood and pain. Sharpstar is -is dead, and I shall be leaving shortly to receive my nine lives from Starclan. Like you, I do not know how Starclan could have let the Gathering last night happen, but I know that Starclan has their reasons. We will never forget Sharpstar, and I will avenge her death. At this time I am asking you all to go back to camp and get rest in your nests. Moongaze, will you please arrange a hunting patrol when you get back and watch the clan until I return?"

With Moongaze's slight nod, Shadowclan as a while bowed their head and chanted to the sky. "Splitstar! Splitstar! Splitstar!"

Ducking her head in both embarrassment and remorse, Splitrain leaped down and met the gaze and warm nudge of the silver warrior. Following him to a secluded part of the clearing as their clan mates began to leave, he let her bury her head in his neck and let loose one stray sob before collecting herself. Moongaze nuzzled her jaw and gave her cheek a lick before leaning in.

"Splitrain, I know this is probably the worst time for me to ask this, but with the battle coming up, and you about to become leader, I think I need this more than ever... can I have the honor of becoming your mate?"

Letting out a little noise as she buried her face in his shoulder again, she nodded her head.

"Yes," she whispered, squeezing her eyes shut to escape the tears threatening to fall, out of mixed joy and mourning.

The sun broke them apart as it was almost completely above them. Mintbreeze's scent was wafting towards them as he carried the needed herbs, Darkpelt and Driftswipe at his sides.

"Eat," he ordered, pushing a neatly wrapped pile of sour leaves and a couple mint leaves placed neatly at the top.

Grimacing as she lapped them up, Moongaze smirked. "The last time you ate those, you were an apprentice, about to go to the Moonstone with me." Happy memories kept from the taste getting to her too much as Splitrain finished the bundle and nodded to Mintbreeze. Glancing between her and her new mate, he rolled his eyes and backed away.

"We'll leave in a moment."

Shooting at the grumpy medicine cat a grateful look, she turned around to lick Moongaze on the cheeks.

"I'll be back in the morning. Please take care of the clan."

"I'll try," he joked, but when he saw her nervousness, he straightened. "Splitpaw, Splitrain, or Splitstar, I love you and I have complete faith in you. You are perfect and you will do perfectly."

Closing her eyes at the compliments, trying desperately to believe his encouragements on becoming leader, she wondered how she would ever be able to do this.

Giving one last lick, he nudged her away with a reassuring smile.

Mintbreeze, Darkpelt, and Driftswipe were waiting for her, and they began immediately for the Moonstone.