Chapter 37- Do They Really Know?

The sharp scent of mint wafted around Splitrain and woke her from her slumber. All was quiet in the medicine den, Mintbreeze being asleep in the farthest corner from her with a curtain of moss separating them. She was the only one being taken care of right now, but after her six days of confinement to ensure no infection would ensue from her half-healed wounds and the newest scars on her muzzle and hind legs from her mother.

The grumpy tortoise shell tom informed that Splitrain would be allowed back in the warrior's den tomorrow she reminded herself, trying to escape the stuffy air in the den. The star sprinkled sky outside revealed the constellations of her ancestors, but she did not feel close to them. They were spectators watching a show.

"Hey, you want to go for a walk?"

The whisper shocked Splitrain out of her mulling, and she spun around to meet the voice.

Driftswipe stood before her, slightly taller and a good bit stronger-looking. A kind smirk was on her face, the dull almost-full moon drawing any color from her pelt and leaving her in a statue of greys and blacks. With an affirmative nod, Splitrain followed her Partner through the entrance with a nod to a frost-covered Coalfoot.

"You two be careful," Coalfoot warned, "And try to bring back some prey while you are out!"

Flicking their tails to let the black she-cat know they heard her, Driftswipe directed them towards the border they shared with Windclan.

Almost in accordance with the cold, quiet atmosphere, the forest seemed to be asleep. No breeze stirred the pines, and the underbrush provided deep, still shadows on the soft, nettle-covered ground.

Feeling her shoulders relax, her paws rejoice on being back on her home soil, she was calm for the first time in quite a while.

Driftswipe's tail waved lazily ahead of her as they neared their border, and the she-cat slowed to a halt.

"So," she started, head faced straight ahead but glancing at Splitrain from the corner of her eyes. She seemed to be prompting Splitrain to speak.

And speak she did. With little encouragement she explained everything to her Partner, excluding the parts about Rapidflame. The comfort that Driftswipe provided at the right moments reminded Splitrain just how lucky she was. She had a Partner who cared for her, a home that welcomed her without judgment, plenty of prey despite the brutal leaf-bare, and a tom who seemed to want nothing but the best for her.

After finishing her tale, the grey she-cat was pressed close to her own calico pelt for warmth, eyes wide with her unasked questions.

"So, what now? I mean, you spied on another clan, and risked your life to get information for a battle that we may not even win. Riverclan will want your heart on the earth, you know that, right? You'll have to always be careful... especially at this Gathering coming up! Riverclan will literally propose that you should be killed!"

To this, Splitrain had no answer, because these were things she herself had been asking.

"I don't know, Driftswipe. I really don't. I'm just happy I'm home again."

Her Partner fell silent, but only for a moment. "Do you think Sharpstar will give you one of the kits? I heard that their apprentice ceremony is tomorrow at sunrise—" Driftswipe broke off, glancing up through the needles to see the first signs of light breaking over the horizon.

"Well, let's go and find out! It's about time Bonerun got something to focus on! He's been driving himself crazy with nothing big going on!" her Partner exclaimed.

All of a sudden, Driftswipe stopped and grinned at her, "I can't believe I almost forgot! Splitrain... I'm pregnant with Bonerun's kits!"

A rush of warmth and affection coursed through her with affection for her Partner and best friend; she was genuinely happy for Driftswipe, and it also meant more future warriors for Shadowclan.