Chapter 42- Revenge Is Upon Us

Splitstar had only one word to describe how she felt: the blistering need for revenge.

The nine lives ceremony seemed to have given her new strength, and she felt as if she could overcome Rapidstar at this very moment. Kill him, make sure Riverclan would never be a threat to Shadowclan ever again, and finally live her life without death and judgment overhanging like a snow-laden branch.

The cavern where her ancestors spoke was slightly filled with a cool light from the sun; the night was gone and replaced by the cool morning breeze that indicated a hint of Green-leaf. No birds lived this high up without trees, but she could imagine them, flitting in the pale pink sky, feasting on worms from the soft soil underfoot. The very thought made her mouth water slightly, both for bird and the freedom that came with green-leaf.

In the new light, the floor was dusty and gritty, though had not given her pelt any damage or any soreness, surprisingly enough. The cave was about five fox-lengths across, with the hole in the slanting roof an unmeasurable space above. Her fellow Clanmates were all in various stages of awakening, shifting in their sleep and blinking sleep away.

Darkpelt, her new deputy, rose and stretched, nodding a warm greeting to her and padding over after giving his chest fur a few licks to rid it of any dust.

"I'm guessing everything went well?" he inquired in his deep mew, tail wrapped neatly around his paws as he awaited an answer.

Did everything go well? It hurt, that was for sure. Was it supposed to, or was it her fault? What had all those lives given to her meant? She was pretty sure she already had kindness, forgiveness? And what happened when you lost that life? Would she not have compassion anymore? When she was down to her last life, would she be an empty shell, awaiting death?

No, because Sharpstar had not been like that.

But wait, what life had Sharpstar been on when she had passed?

Ignoring Darkpelt's query for the moment, she glanced at Mintbreeze. In what she hoped sounded like cool indifference, she asked,

"How many lives had Sharpstar lost when she died?"

A confused expression graced the medicine cat's face as he struggled with waking up, but he answered.

"Six. She had three lives left."

Nodding her thanks, Driftswipe gave her a strange look but padded towards the exit.

"Can we go? I feel uncomfortable talking of this in a place meant for speaking to the dead."

Splitstar shrugged and followed her Partner out of the mountain.

...

Back at the camp, the shadow of Sharpstar's death still clung to every breath made and every step taken. Tails drooped, and every few moments there would be a sniff or a sob from one of the older cats and the elders, who watched Sharpstar grow up from kithood.

Mintbreeze showed Splitstar her new den, along with the palm leaves and chunks of black rock strewn across the space and a nest shoved in the corner. Another pang seared through her chest as she took a deep breath and dismissed Mintbreeze. Moongaze, on her other side, pressed his shoulder against hers and licked her cheek comfortingly.

"Everything will be okay... I promise," he murmured into the silence, and she almost believed him.

Before further examination could be given to the den, a clan meeting had to be called, and battle preparations made.

It was painful to bound up the sand mound and call all the cats to gather, because it would never again be Sharpstar's voice, but her own. With pain and anger battling in all of their hearts, it was decided that the apprentices would help Mintbreeze to collect the necessary herbs today after the meeting, and all patrols were to keep on the lookout for cobwebs. Two hunting patrols today would keep all the cats well-fed, and it was insisted that if you were not a part of a patrol, training was mandatory, as was a curfew a little after sundown so no cat would suffer from lack of sleep.

"I do not think I need to tell any of you to fight, but I am requesting that the apprentices and Driftswipe not participate in combat. I know Mintbreeze will need all the help he can get."

Protests from the 'paws were evident, but they would thank her later. Driftswipe, on her left, though, gave a yowl of protest.

"If I do not fight as your Partner, then you are much weaker, Splitstar! We can't risk losing another leader! Kits are not coming until this battle is long won; there is no danger of losing them if I get injured."

As much as it hurt to refuse her Partner, she let her stone faced expression tell the pregnant she-cat what her final answer was.

"My Partner is not important right now. What is, is every one of you ready to fight Riverclan. We will avenge Sharpstar, and we will remind the whole forest who the most terrifying and powerful clan is."

Inspired by her speech, Shadowclan cheered in agreement and separated into patrols or training groups for the day. The apprentices trailed behind Mintbreeze, disappointed but still hopeful that they might be needed in the front lines.

Starclan, she hoped not.