Chapter 44- Death To Them All?

It had been three days since Splitstar's discovery. Three days spent in the corner of the den, hunched over leaves marked with fading charcoal and plans. Three days since Riverclan's fate was sealed.

Three days since her own destiny was sealed.

The sky outside her den was dark and foreboding, the clouds heavy with rain and thunder. No drops had fallen yet, but Splitstar was sure they were on their way. The air was cool, wind blowing rather strongly on the pines surrounding the clearing, their swaying slow and calming. Most cats were inside their dens, getting some much-needed rest as the moon began its rise somewhere behind the clouds.

The musky smell of the den was starting to get to her head, so with creaking joints she hoisted herself up and towards the mouth of the den. Moongaze, who had been fast asleep in their shared nest, raised his head and blinked tiredly.

"You okay?" he yawned, shifting onto his other side and watching her with steady, tired eyes. He had been training day in and day out with the rest of the warriors, as well as helping her decipher the leaves. He deserved a good night's sleep. She hadn't told him her plan yet.

He would try to stop her.

"Yeah, I'm good. I just need some fresh air. Get some sleep," she replied, smiling tiredly.

With a confirmative nod from her mate, Splitstar made her way out into the clearing to the fresh-kill pile. It was about half full, but a hunting patrol was on their way back, from the sounds of subdued laughter and murmurs from just beyond the entrance.

A few heartbeats later the group broke through, each carrying either a squirrel or mouse, along with the occasional vole, by which was carried by none other than Braveglare.

Nodding to the reddish brown tom in greeting, he proceeded to pad over, dropping the vole at her feet.

"Only the best for you," he joked, chuckling as Splitstar glared for a moment before taking a bite. The warmth felt heavenly on her tongue and her stomach gurgled in appreciation.

"So what brings you out of your cave?" the blue eyes warrior started, herding her through the entrance as soon as she had finished her meal.

"Thinking," she muttered. She was ashamed to say she didn't know Braveglare that well as an apprentice. He always had a big mouth and never thought about what he said, and no matter how hard she had tried Splitstar could not get it out of her head how rude he had been when she had first come here.

The tom huffed, letting out a low growl as he stopped in front of her path with a frustrated expression.

"Look, I know we aren't the best of friends, but I am a warrior of Shadowclan and you are its leader. We work together. I am not asking you to confess your plans for clan, but open up to me a bit. I'm sorry for the way I treated you as an apprentice, okay? I'm not going to say I've grown up, because I haven't, but I promise to shut up,"

Meeting the tom's firm gaze for countless heartbeats, Splitstar looked away.

"As your superior, don't you think it's my decision whether to tell you or not?"

The look on the tom's face was priceless. "Y-Yes, but I thought..."

"I'm kidding, you mouse-brain,"

He stuttered for a moment more. "You are?"

Letting loose a small purr, she flicked his snout with her tail as she began walking again.

"Obviously."

The tom still stood there, looking confused and a little stunned as Splitstar looked behind her shoulder.

"Do you not want to hear my plans now? Fine by me," she teased, snorting as he stumbled over himself to catch up again.

They walked for a little ways more before settling down from the first stray drops that weaved through the pines.

"It's hard to believe that we're the same age sometimes," he said, breaking the silence. "You seem so composed and... prepared. You act like a senior warrior, and even they agree that you do, too. I don't think there's a cat in this clan who doesn't support you entirely."

"That's great, but that's just an image. I have no idea what I'm doing, Braveglare."

He cocked his head. "Well, what's your plan? Or, uh, do you... have one?"

Splitstar flicked her ears in his direction. "Of course I have a plan, bird brain, I just... don't know if it'll work."

"Well, what is it, then?"

So she explained. The clouds above them swirled, reflecting the inner turmoil she felt. Explaining the plan made the outcome no more certain. It was like knowing there was something beyond the fog, something big, but only being able to see the slightest outline.

It was quiet for only a moment, but it wasn't full of 'are you crazy' and 'that is so stupid' like she thought it would. Instead she heard, "Are you sure that's what you want?"

Her brain, although it was a simple question, could not come up with a good answer. Or an answer at all.

Braveglare shuffled his body over so he could snag her gaze with a serious expression.

"Answer this, who are you angry at?"

The answer came instantly. "Rapidstar."

"Not at the clan? Not at your mother and father?"

"...No."

"And why not? Your anger and resentment would be justified. The clan— the forest wouldn't think any less of you for it."

"Oh, trust me, I do resent them. I hate them with every hair on my body. But that is not something I drag my clan into. That is not a fight I can risk losing anyone's life over. It is a personal battle I will fight alone, for the rest of my existence."

Braveglare nodded, looking impressed.

"Well, if your battle is against Rapidstar and him alone, why does your plan include the repression of every Riverclan warrior?"

Splitstar was silent. There was no answer.

The Shadowclan warrior continued. "You need to understand the difference between the leader and the followers. Most of the clan doesn't want to be in an all-out war, I bet. I know the queens, the kits, the elders don't.

"What you need to determine is what this war is, Splitstar. It is the revenge of Sharpstar's death. And what will you do to get that revenge?"

Her claws slid out of her paws, slicing into soft moss and dead nettles. "Death."

"The death of Riverclan?"

"No," Splitstar said, looking up at the storm clouds, "Of Rapidstar."