0.5

i stared down at the dresses lied out across my bed. albert was sniffing around my heels strewed around my bedroom floor.

"bean," i picked her up and set her on my bed, "sit on the one you like the most."

she went and curled up on my pillow. i groaned in frustration as i flopped down onto the bed. i was staring up at the ceiling when i heard my front door open and shut.

"it's just me!" calum shouted.

we had only been officially dating for a week but i had already given him a spare key. i think we were drunk when i did that but i didn't really mind.

"what are you doing?" he laughed when he saw me sprawled out on the bed in just my sweatpants and bra.

"can you be my date tonight?" i sighed, "i won't get the outfit right but i can at least get the boyfriend right."

"where are we going?"

"an art gala. you're down with meeting my parents, right?"

"oh," he said quietly, "art and your parents."

"my parents barely talk to me at these things, don't worry. it might just be a small conversation and then we can eat great food while you stare at my ass as usual," i smiled.

"your ass is a piece of artwork," he winked, "i also think the whole 'not touching the artwork' rule is bullshit."

"well, thank you. help me choose a dress," i pulled him towards the bed.

"the green one kind of looks like a prom dress," he tilted his head to the side.

"that's what i thought but it's one of the only long dresses i have," i picked the bedazzled green dress up and put it back in my closet.

"um, blue is a really pretty color on you," he admitted bashfully.

"then i'll try this one on," i grabbed the cornflower blue dress and took it into my bathroom. it was long and had a halter top neckline that was jeweled at the neckline. it wasn't skintight but you could still see my curves.

"i don't know. isn't it too tight?" i sighed as i walked out.

"oh my god," he mumbled.

"is it that bad?" i huffed.

"no, no not at all. you look fucking hot," he grinned and walked up to me.

"i'll look a lot better when my hair is done, i have on shoes, and makeup."

"you look perfect," he gushed.

"thank you," i blushed and looked at the floor.

"what do i wear?"

"a black suit with a black tie and black shoes. make your hair neat, too."

"i'll handle it, babe," he kissed my cheek.

"i get really ocd about these things," i whispered, "my parents have high-standards sometimes."

"i can handle it," he said, his voice just as quiet.

"okay," i whispered.

"okay," he replied.

"okay," i mouthed.

"when should i pick you up?" he asked.

"six," i wrapped my arms around his neck and he rested his hands on my waist gently.

"i'll be there," he kissed me lightly before walking out.

✧ ☾✧

i had straightened my hair, put on some red lipstick, swept on dark eye shadow, put on some jewelry, and slipped into my black heels. i really hated dressing up like this but it made my parents and their friends happy.