0.9

i trudged out to the kitchen where my dad was making pancakes. i slumped into a wooden chair at our table as my mother happily scurried in. she sat across from me with a large smile stretched across her face.

"good morning, delly. how are you?" she asked.

i blinked slowly at her before forcing myself to answer, "i could be better. how are you?"

"wonderful," she beamed.

"but your mother is dying," i raised my eyebrows in suspicion.

"she takes multiple anti-depressants when she wakes up," my dad whispered in my ear as he set a plate of food in front of me.

i was about to eat when my phone buzzed in my lap.

adorable lil shit: iM SO MAD AGAIN AADFSHAJAF

me: pls tell me you didn't have ANOTHER dream about me

adorable lil shit: no. i was just told that you and michael were like stealing candy together or some shit???

me: can we talk later? there's a whole backstory behind that i promise baby

adorable lil shit: fine :-////

i shut my phone off so i could focus on my breakfast.

✧ ☾✧

i followed behind my parents as they walked into the hospital. i kept quiet and ignored their hushed whispering. i kept on chewing on the skin around my nails subconsciously until my mother whacked my hand away from my mouth. i quietly wiped them off on my jeans before pretending like nothing had happened.

we walked into the hospital room and found my sickly grandmother sleeping. my parents let me sit in the chair next to her bed, leaving them to stand at the foot of the hospital bed.

"hi, gran," i whispered.

i squeezed her frail hand which made her eyes flutter open. i sent her a half-smile and she let out soft gasp in response.

"it's been so long, delilah," she smiled.

"i know," i pressed my lips to her hand gently, "how are you holding up?"

"very well, actually. what have you been trying to paint?" she asked teasingly as she looked over my dark brown hands.

"a boy's eyes," i answered softly.

she chuckled weakly, "those are always the hardest. have you given up on the sky yet?"

"no," i shook my head, "i'll never give up on that. i'm just taking a break to focus on something equally as interesting."

"young love is always such a wonderful thing," she sighed peacefully, "i do hope i get to meet him."

i felt tears welling in my eyes and my throat closed up but i quickly forced a smile on my face. we both knew she'd never meet calum but no one in the room was willing to admit that.

"i love you, gran," i choked out.

"i love you, too, little delilah. promise me you'll finish the sky."

i nodded, unable to form any coherent words. i leaned down to let her kiss my cheek weakly before quickly rushing out of the room and into the bathroom.

✧ ☾✧

gran passed away later that day. we were eating dinner when we received the news. my mother instantly bursted into tears which my dad rushed to her aid. i sat with my fork shoved into a bowl of the hospital's mac and cheese. i stared at nothing in particular as i zoned out my mother's weeping. i eventually got up and went outside to get some fresh air.