1.6

[ not edited ]

that night and following day i refused to leave my bed. i couldn't bring myself to get up, get dressed, and force myself to work. it felt like there was a never ending pain in my chest; it was a tightening like something was reaching in and squeezing. i didn't even cry that much, it just hurt.

at around five pm of the day after my  day if sulking i finally got up. i got dressed, ate some cold cheese pizza, and then walked albert and bean downstairs. i held onto their leashes as they finally got to go to the bathroom. i had only taken a few bathroom breaks with them and they both had very small bladders.

when they finished, i went back upstairs. i sat with the two dogs for a little before grabbing my apron and heading out. i wanted to help with the dinner rush to see if it would help me get back onto my feet.

✧ ☾✧

"delilah," charlotte said softly as she put a hand on my trembling shoulder.

i was currently arranging the desserts in the case while quietly weeping. i didn't even know i had started crying until charlotte came over.

"i-i'm sorry," i stammered.

"what happened?" she crouched down next to me to look into my teary eyes.

"i broke up with calum," i managed to get out before biting down on the sleeve of calum's sweatshirt i was still wearing.

"oh, darling," she pulled me into a tight hug, "i'm so sorry."

"b-but i did get an art internship so i c-can't work her any-anymore," i exhaled shakily, almost beginning to cry again.

charlotte gasped, "that's amazing! i am so proud of you!"

"you aren't upset?"

"no, of course not. it's about time you go after your dreams instead of sticking around this dingy place," she grinned widely at me.

"you think so?"

"i know so," she pecked my cheek, "are you better? do you want some hot chocolate while joe covers your shift?"

i nodded. she helped me to my feet before pulling me into her office on the second floor. we talked for a little before she let me go home. i really needed to get back into my pajamas and sleep for an eternity.

"goodbye, delilah. i hope you feel better and tell me about that job once you start," charlotte grinned at me.

"i will," i nodded, "thank you so much for your support."

she pecked my cheek before letting me exit the store. i quickly hailed a taxi; i didn't have the energy to walk. i leaned my head against the window so i could watch the buildings pass in a blur. the tightening in my chest returned but it faded faster than it had the previous times.

✧ ☾✧

calum's pov:

{ right after the breakup }

i stormed down the elevator with the taste of delilah's lips still on mine. nothing really hit me at first. it felt like a little argument but it was, obviously, so much more.

my foot tapped at an annoyingly fast pace as i rode the elevator down to the lobby. luckily my eyes were only a little blurry with the hot angry tears so i could still see straight.

i left the apartments and got into the car i 'borrowed' from a crew member. i actually stole it but i was going to give it back so i didn't think too much of it. i sat in the leather seat as i stared down at the steering wheel. of course right before i was supposed to drive through snow i realized what had just happened. my eyes welled up with tears and i slammed my hand down on the wheel. my palm now stung but it didn't even come close to the pain in my chest. i was able to compose myself just enough to start the car and drive onto the street. the one good thing about new york traffic was that you were always stopped. this meant that i didn't have to try and steady my breathing while going seventy miles an hour down a crowded highway.