1.5

a day before the opening of the event at the museum of modern art, calum and i were talking on the phone. we were both pretty exhausted which made him grouchy and me annoyed with it.

"goddammit, delilah," calum sighed irritably.

"what? what did i do this time?" i snapped back.

"i don't fucking know. i'm so annoyed with you right now."

i rolled my eyes, "so sorry for you, cal. i don't mean to be such an inconvenience to you. you don't even have a reason to be annoyed with me."

"you just...you just- i don't even know. maybe we need a break. maybe i need to sleep for a thousand years. i don't know!" he shouted the last few words.

"maybe both," i spat before hanging up.

i dropped my phone on my bed before pressing my face into a pillow to muffle my screams. calum and i did not do well with this long-distance thing and it was stressing me out. on top of that, the gallery was making my mind frantic so the drama with calum was not something i could handle. i really couldn't handle anything.

i heard the sound of my phone ringing again but i put it on do not disturb. i knew it was calum calling to apologize or yell some more. i was not in the mood to hear either of those.

i angrily yanked my white dress from its hanger before throwing it into my basket of laundry. i slammed my door shut with my foot after storming out of my apartment. i clutched the handles of the laundry basket so tightly that my knuckles turned white. the little girl in the elevator with me was looking quite scared by my angry aura but i was too pissed and annoyed to care.

once the elevator reached the bottom floor, i stormed back to the laundry room. i slammed the basket on the counter before shoving coins into the machine. i dumped my lights into one washer and threw the white dress into another. i then began to pace while tugging at the sleeves of my long-sleeved shirt. luckily no one was in the room with me because i would have gotten multiple strange stares.

i eventually hopped onto the counter and sat with my legs crossed over one another. i scribbled into my sketchbook and did my best to think of happy things. it took me some time but i was soon able to think of more than ripping calum's head off.

i got lost in a drawing so it felt like it took no time at all for my clothes to finish. i put the now clean, warm, and dry clothes in my basket neatly before carrying them back to my room. the white dress was for tomorrow and it was actually really cute. the blue band around the waist went with my eyes and my pale skin looked surprisingly good in white. also, i got a new pair of blue heels that were almost comfortable but cute enough for me not to care. it would be a lot better with calum by my side, though. i'm not even sure if he's going to come tomorrow or not.

i let out a long sigh. i decided not to think about it too much as i trudged back to the elevator.

✧ ☾✧

i sat in my green kitchen chair as eliza scurried around me. she offered to help me get ready for the gallery but i really think she just wanted to hear about calum.

"what's he like when he's angry?" eliza asked dreamily, "do his veins pop out and does he just shove you against the wall to furiously make out with you?"

"um, he yells," i shrugged awkwardly.

"is it super hot?"

"i'm usually not turned on by my boyfriend screaming at me but whatever crumbles your cookie."

"oh," she said quietly, "uh, what do you want me to do with your hair?"

"maybe just curl it? i'm not sure."