The First Fatality of the Nazgul

Lessien and Aragorn had returned to the hobbits' room and there they rounded up the hobbits like cattle and brought them across the hall to the other side of the Prancing Pony where Aragorn's room was.

Lessien stayed behind to put feathers from the pillows under the blankets. She arranged the feathers so it looked as if a child lay under the blanket and left, locking the door behind her.

In their room, the hobbits sunk into their beds immediately, exhausted from the night's horrendous events.

"Why would a girl like you be wrapped up in such a mess?" Pippin asked groggily from underneath his blankets.

Lessien grinned. "I am a friend of Strider's," she referred to her father by his Ranger name now, before adding, "I have come to help escort you to Rivendell with him."

Pippin rose his eyebrows over his drooping eyelids.

"I am well trained in combat," Lessien explained. She cupped her mouth so Aragorn could not see and whispered, "I am better than him, even." 

It was a lie, but it wasn't too far fetched.

Pippin smiled widely and hunkered down farther under his blanket, closing his eyes.

Lessien sat on the foot of the bed and beamed softly at the hobbits. They looked as small children do and yet they were men with stout hearts.

Frodo, meanwhile, sat straight up on the other side of the bed, not sleeping a wink and staring absentmindedly out the window. The sandy-haired hobbit kept tossing and turning restlessly.

"Is something bothering you?" Lessien questioned. "You need not be afraid. Strider and I are here to protect you, little Master."

The hobbit's face grew red. "Oh, no need to call me that! I'm just a mere servant of Frodo here. No need to worry about me."

"He is no mere servant, he is a very dear friend of mine and aided me when I was in great need even though he knew the situation was dire," Frodo cut in insistently. "If he is discomforted then I am too."

The sandy-haired hobbit shook his head. "I'm just havin' a hard time sleeping. No need to worry," he claimed but Lessien shook her head.

The hobbit then filled the silence. "I'm afraid I don't know your name, my lady," he stated.

"Nor I yours," Lessien said and then continued, "Ah, I am Larahliea. Eve is the simple name I go by here, as a barmaid, and he is Strider. And yourself?" She freely used her Ranger name here now.

"I am Samwise Gamgee from the Shire but I go by Sam, I do. There is Meriadoc Brandybuck, who goes by Merry; Peregrine Took, who goes by Pippin; and you know Frodo of course," Sam explained, gesturing to each of the hobbits as he went along.

"Ah, I see," Lessien acknowledged, nodding her head appreciatively.

Sam smiled sleepily, and in the dull pause of the conversation, he drifted off.

Frodo looked to Lessien and said, "Thank you. He will need his rest this night."

"Are you not going to sleep yourself, Master Frodo?" Lessien questioned.

"No, I could not if I wanted to," he replied tersely.

Strider looked at Frodo and urged, "You must rest, for the Nazgul will be here soon."

Frodo reached at the chain on his neck, and pulled out a golden ring, fingering it.

Lessien instantly felt a darkness seize her at the sight of it and a red Eye flashed in her mind. Shaken by this vision, she felt a sudden longing for the Ring clinging to her heart. A sharp pain went through her.