A Few More Arguments

Lessien stormed down the hall and back to her mother's garden. She was happy to find that no one was there, and that finally she could have some alone time with herself. As she sat on the bench seat, Lessien dreamed with her eyes still open. This time she went to Rohan, the place of her childhood, the creaky bridge, and the thin forest of willow trees. At the home of her imagination and her playground, so many memories overthrew her.

"Lessien." 

A voice cut into her mind and she beheld Legolas. 

Immediately, she stood.

"Prince Legolas," she addressed him by his title.

"Eve, there is no need for formalities."

With that note, Lessien easily and happily began addressing her old companion with the distaste she wished to. "Well, it is Lessien now, if I must remind you" she explained, "and I shall be going." She lacked tact whenever she disliked someone, that much was apparent.

"Wait," Legolas began. "Why do you act as if we have not met?"

"Well, Prince Legolas, we have not. For I am Lessien Tîwele. The person you met fifty one years ago was Eve Elessar. I am a different person now," Lessien stated simply.

"Clearly," Legolas murmured. "We were friends, Lessien, can we not have that same relationship?"

"Excuse me," Lessien scoffed. "We were friends?"

"Ah, I thought I would come back to continue things with you," Legolas began hesitantly, suddenly so eager to explain himself as he referred to their old romantic relationship. "It wasn't really my fault. I had duties to my people."

"Fine, I was being unreasonable, but it was a young dream, Legolas, a short-lived fantasy," Lessien replied, bitterness in her voice. 

"You're just as beautiful as I remember," Legolas said, a note of desperation deep in his voice. 

"Beauty should not be an incentive for you," Lessien replied with an annoyed tone as she left. Oh, how weary she grew of men.

However, she wondered why she was still so upset over her and Legolas's history. Although Lessien was prideful, she wasn't one to hold grudges. Her life was far too long and she had made far too many enemies for that. Perhaps Legolas had really mattered to her, even beyond her teenage years. It was silly, though, Lessien knew that. With those thoughts settled in her head, she did what she always did. She pushed them away.

"Lessien," a terse voice addressed her from behind. 

Lessien turned, surprised to see Lord Elrond standing in front of her. 

Yet another confrontation.

"I would like to tell you what I truly think of your decision to go on such a quest."

"I am fairly certain you have already made it painfully clear of the feelings you have associated with me going on this quest," Lessien said, disrespectful exasperation in her voice.

"Please, let us discuss this," Elrond plead, remaining emotionless and stern despite of her taunting.

"Does discuss mean lecture to you, Elrond? I understand, I was not formally appointed to go on this mission. It does not matter to me and it should not matter to you. I am not a little child, despite your belief and apparently my companions' beliefs too. I will be coming along.

"What is there to discuss?" she continued. "Whether or not I am to go on this mission or to stay in Rivendell and live out the life my mother did? She lives as a prisoner in her own home," Lessien replied. "You have no real control over me. In fact, you're the one who banished me so long ago. Why am I still here?"

"Please, Lessien. Reason with me," Elrond continued. "There are forces at work against you that you are not aware of."

"You would say whatever you could in order to scare me out of this," Lessien countered. "You would use your great authority of being a Seer in order to show me why I shouldn't go. How very convenient that would be for you. You forget, Elrond, that I am not a child and I have seen war. I cannot be so easily scared."

"You do not understand, girl. Ever since your birth, you have been of great significance. There was a reason I did not support the reunion of your mother and father," Elrond defended.

"Ah, yes. I know the reason you and my lovely grandmother, Gilraen, disliked Arwen and my father's relationship so much. It would be doomed and I would be cursed. My birth, especially, would cause so many issues for the fate of Middle Earth," Lessien commented snidely. How very irritating this all was. She could barely comprehend it. Why did it have to matter so much? 

"Come now, Elrond, I hope you know that there is no lie that you can make up that would stop me. In fact, I grow so weary of this whole situation, that I am going to retire to my room. Today has had me arguing with men far too much."

With that being said, Lessien turned on her heal for what seemed like the hundredth time that day to make her exit.

Behind her, Elrond said, "You have power that will determine the fate of Middle Earth."

Lessien sighed.

Will they ever stop?