The Mines of Moria

As the Fellowship made their way down the mountain, Gimli was the most jolly of all. He was ranting on about the greatness of the Mines and of being reunited with his dear cousin and of the royal manner they would be treated.

Lessien soon grew annoyed with his talk, so she began talking with her father, whom she felt she had not conversed with for awhile.

"Ada, why is Gandalf so negative about going through the Mines?" she whispered in elvish.

"It wasn't until a short while ago that the Mines were ruled by orcs and goblins. The place is fowl, no matter how extravagant our young friend Gimli makes it sound," Aragorn replied.

"Oh. Well, how are you doing, Ada?" Lessien asked.

"Good, why do you ask?"

"You seem distant lately," Lessien said hesitantly before she added hastily, "Just a reminder, I'm your daughter. We're family."

No reply came from Aragorn.

"You think of Arwen, don't you?" she asked.

A pause.

"Yes."

"Why?"

"You mustn't be so upset with her. You were taken from her against her will," Aragorn replied, avoiding the question.

Lessien decided to not explain herself and kept a straight face as she walked past him.

-

The trail they blazed was not pleasant to the eyes or to the nose, or frankly to any of the five senses.

The air was hot and muggy. The faint wind that blew only pushed that unpleasant air around and the smell was rather rancid, a smell of sweat and rot.

The look was just as it smelled, dry and ugly, rotting to death.

Everyone was weary, except Gimli, who still spoke in a grand matter.

It was a great relief when they got to the most beautiful part of Moria, and Gimli's eyes were teary.

The entrance to the mines had a beautiful carving on it.

"What does it say?" asked Boromir.

"It reads 'The Doors of Durin, Lord of Moria. Speak, friend, and enter,'" Gandalf read aloud.

"What do you suppose that means?" inquired Merry.

"Oh, it's quite simple. If you are a friend, you speak the password and the doors will open." Gandalf said, as if it was the most simple thing in Middle Earth.

Gandalf then started relentlessly speaking random words to the stone.

Everyone drifted their separate ways. Lessien went nearer to Sam.

Her father was unloading the pony and Sam's eyes were very teary indeed, his expression downtrodden.

"The Mines are no place for a pony, even one as brave as Bill," Aragorn explained.

Her father turned away and tears slipped from Samwise's eyes.

"He'll be alright, he'll find his way home," Lessien said reassuringly and put her arm around the weeping Sam.

"He's such a good pony and I wish no bad-will to be put upon him," sputtered Sam.

"Oh, Sam! He will be alright, I promise you." Lessien bent and gave him a kiss on the cheek, "As a friend, I truly promise you that everything will be okay in the end."