Chapter 28

Not edited.

Russell sat on the other side of the table and couldn't help the tinge of jealousy he felt as he watched Jax's fingers slowly moving along strands of Cori's hair. He almost wished they'd decided that she would be his girlfriend in public and not Jax's. Sure he'd be able to throw an arm around her waist or her shoulders but the intimate contact that Jax was able to have openly with her was a little difficult to take right at that moment.

He shook his head and admonished himself for being so stupid. This was how it would have to be for them to be together. She... they... were worth it.  There would be times, other places, when he could be as open as Jax was now so he simply had to suck it up and deal with it as best he could.

"... tomorrow."

He turned quickly to John and his face tinged as he realised he hadn't been listening to a word he said.

"Sorry? I was... uh..."

What the hell could he say? I can't stop thinking about your daughter and all the things I want to do with her? Yeah... no. There were still some things parents didn't want to know about and sex was definitely off the conversation menu!

"I was saying that Tim and I would be returning home tomorrow. Tim has the last of his exams the next day."

"Oh. Well I'm sure Cori will miss you when you leave."

Ok. Yep. That's a safe topic.

John nodded thoughfully as he watched the closeness between Cori and Jax.

"Maybe not as much as I would hope" his voice was full of humour "it seems she may have another number one man in her life now."

Russell grinned as he followed the nod of John's head.

Another two!

"I'm counting on you to keep an eye on this pair for me Russell. My little girl..."

"Dad!" Cori was horrified at the thought of what may come out of her fathers' mouth next.

"What? You will always be my little girl Cori."

"I know but..."

Tim started to laugh. He'd seen the protective nature of their father many many times before.

"Give up sis. You know how protective he is."

Cori grimaced at the thought. Her mind drifted back six months when a friend she'd known since starting school at age five had come to the house so they could car pool to go to a regular meet up all her old class mates went to. An annual event that would now be the source of many jokes as Dean replayed the scene of her father coming out of the kitchen asking Cori if she would mind him using her computer so he could check up on the requirements of owning a gun licence. She'd been completely horrified and embarrassed as she watched her father size Dean up and emphasized the word 'gun' time and time again.

"God yes. But Dad you don't have to worry about me. You know that. I can take care of myself."

John laughed "I know you could easily bring him down physically honey. That's not what I'm worried about."

"Mr Hill" Jax licked his lips nervously as he looked to Russell for reassurance and felt a slight relief as the older man nodded encouragingly "I can't tell you what tomorrow, next week or next year will bring." He inhaled slowly "What I can tell you is that I believe that Cori is a very very special woman. I'd rather cut out my tongue than hurt her but that's not saying that I won't be stupid at times. I'm sure she'll have me begging her forgiveness for something I stupidly did."

John looked at the awe on Cori's face as Jax spoke and although as a father

he really didn't want to think of her growing up he really had to admit that the pair seemed extremely comfortable with one another. That comfort in itself was a relief but she was his girl and he had to be sure.

"Good words young man. Remember them..  because I will."